Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

new office for mac 2011 wont open

new office for mac 2011 won't open
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hi there and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you.

BeBoo :

Are you trying to install it?

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

I did install it. But all I get when I hit the icon in the dock is the registration screen.

BeBoo :

Ok, you should either register it or say Register Late.r

BeBoo :

Later*

Customer:

I did register it. Three times. Then I get a message from them saying they've emailed me something. Which they did. But the programs still won't open.

BeBoo :

Might be a permission problem.

BeBoo :

To repair permissions, please click out to your desktop and use the Go menu at the very top.

Choose Utilities from this menu. Look for Disk Utility and open it up.

On the left side, choose your hard drive and click the button labeled "Repair Permissions".

This process will take some time so please let it work. Once done, it's recommended that you restart but see if you can reproduce the problem.

Customer:

I repaired the permissions.

BeBoo :

Ok, good.

BeBoo :

Was there any previous versions of Office installed on this computer?

Customer:

I have an earlier version on the computer, a new Air, but it won't work either

BeBoo :

That might be conflicting with the new version.

Customer:

That's what I'm thinking. But I don't know what to do.

BeBoo :

Do you still have your disk handy?

Customer:

The old one? No. Left it in the country.

Customer:

New disk yes.

BeBoo :

New disc, yes. Put it in.

Customer:

OK. It's in.

BeBoo :

Ok, the disc, there should be a Remove Office utility

Customer:

looking

Customer:

No. Because it's a remote superdrive, I can't see the utilities on the disk. Are you suggesting I remove the old one or the new one? I have MacKeeper installed, and could probably uninstall something.

BeBoo :

The old one. There is a utility on the disc called Remove Office. It removes the programs, files and settings associated with the program. It's developed by Microsoft so they would know what needs to be removed. I don't trust third party programs to know what to remove or properly remove them but you are welcome to try.

Customer:

OK. I guess I'll try to find the old disc and start there. Thanks

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm