MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

How can I open and save PDF files on my MacBook with Mac OSX

How can I open and save PDF files on my MacBook with Mac OSX v10.5.8? I keep getting an 'unknown error' and see a *.cgi file-type.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
• Sometimes Adobe, can be a bear when it comes to simply opening a PDF file or files.
• Other times however, it could be the PDF file(s) that may be the issue.
• What I recommend you try when attempting to open a PDF is to use Preview.

• Preview is the built-in view utility within Mac OS X that allows you, to a limited degree like Adobe, to review, modify and annotate portable document files (.pdf) image in formats like .jpg, .png, .bmp, .tiff etc..

To try preview with one of your .PDF files, right click (or control + click if with a single button mouse) on the .PDF file and select Open with then select Preview
once you have done that, you should see the document open.

The only way it will not open is if the file extension is not correct or is damaged.
Try this little step and see if you can at least open the file.
This is just the first answer, so keep in mind, I will be here to assist you until you get a sound resolution.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Thank you for the Accept. I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not the end of the session, especially if you still have questions or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

Thank you again!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Terry, I gave your suggestion to try, but the "open with" option is not available. I did see something about the file "being encrypted before being sent out." I was logged in at the time I tried to open the file. Do you have any other suggestions? How do I find out more about the 'built-in view utility'?
Thanks for your update

If you would, can you provide me a copy of one of those pdfs you are trying to open?
I have provided my technical share folder link below, which will allow me to examine your pdf file, to more or less "see what you see" by checking on or more of those pdfs on my system per my present tools.

You are welcome to do this, only if the pdfs are not of a confidential or personal nature.

To upload to my technical share folder

*MacTech Share (Maximum 200MB file transfer)

To properly upload a file:
Click the Browse button, this will take you to your Mac's finder window
• Select from the desktop of the computer, the file you want to upload
• Select the Upload button and that will put the file in my technical share folder

View Full Image

Send me a post to let me know you have uploaded the pdf
I will take a look at it and reply back to you with some more viable options to
help with viewing your pdf files

Thanks for your patience, let me know if this is a workable option for you,
and I will reply back as soon as I can.