John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

Hi, Ive just installed MS Office 2011 for MAC and have

I've just installed MS Office 2011 for MAC and have a large Excel file with duplicates. How can I easily de-dupe?

Hi Celeste

Yes there are several ways to do that depending on the data layout and where you want the results to be placed

Do you have the file available that you could send me, or would you like to describe the data layout (which columns, etc) so I can prepare a sample file

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi John,

Indeed, I do have the file -- how do I send it to you?

Ok, go to and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the download link and File ID. Copy the download link or the File ID and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Don't forget to send me the download link or file ID so I can access the file

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi John,

Here it is: KWs 2-14-11.xls

• File ID: 420588
I noticed that although I have Office 2011, it saves it in Excel 97-2004.

Got it, thanks.

Ok you are looking for duplicates in column A irrespective of the data in the other columns, correct?. And do you want to mark the duplicate rows or delete them?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi John,

Yes -- column A is the guide and also pleas just mark the duplicates (I will delete). Can you also tell me how to do this for future reference?

Thank you,

Ok Celeste here you go

I did it with formulas so you can use this method yourself on other files. The formulas are in column S (yellow cells). They return an X in the rows where the item in column A are duplicates. If you need assistance with deleting these rows please let me know

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution