Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My macbook wont turn on-- when I push the power button, it

Customer Question

My macbook won't turn on-- when I push the power button, it beeps at me (beep, beep, beep, pause, beep, beep, beep). Nothing else happens. It's been plugged in and the cord shows a green light as if it's working. I used it earlier in the week and when I was using it, it showed the charger was working.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Id that an Intel MAcbook?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a laptop Macbook. The receipt describes it like this:

"Macbook 13/2.0/2x1GB/160/SD"

It doesn't say anything about Intel. I bought it less than 2 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK it is Intel in that case.

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  • Remove the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  • Release the power button.
  • Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys until you hear the chime three times then let go of the keys
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not work. I'm taking my computer to the apple store today.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK probably needs repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I needed new RAM, which I bought and installed myself already. It's working again. By the way, when the macbook pro beeps like that an doesn't boot up, apparently that is a ram problem most of the time.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes I knew that but most people don‘t feel up to that task. If it was Apple Ram and under warranty it should be free.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike,

I just got an email asking me to accept the answer so you could get paid. I promise I would "accept" your answer if it actually made any difference at all. I believe it would be worth the fee if I could get an answer on-line without having to take my computer in and have someone fix it. However, as I already told you, I had to take it in and get new RAM installed. So, I won't be accepting (or paying for) your answer. However, I will certainly use you again in the future if I need help.

Thank you,

Melody Mirbaba

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I disagree. As you can see from our exchanges, I told you I was taking it in-- after I told you that, you agreed that I should. I don't see how agreeing with my decision helped. I didn't mention this before, but the troubleshooting directions you gave were almost identical to what I already had found on other web-sites offering troubleshooting advise for free-- so even the advise you did give wasn't unique to what I already found. I'm sure you are quite good at what you do, but in this situation, you didn't offer anything unique or helpful.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Keep your money.