Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I need to copy my address (contacts) from my MacPro to a PC

Customer Question

I need to copy my address (contacts) from my MacPro to a PC at work. I still want my addresses on my Mac for home use, but need them on my PC (new job) as well.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you need them to sync or just copy them one time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just copy from one to the other. No syncing

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What are you using for contacts on the PC and the MAc?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 2/3/2011 at 12:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Grabbing email addresses, general looking up of numbers and addresses. Why?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I meant what program sorry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that makes more sense. outlook
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
And also sorry again your addresses are on the Mac in Address Book or Outlook?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in my address book on my MAC and I want to copy them and put them on my PC

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK open Address Book and select all or only the addresses you want to copy over and go to File/Export /vCard, save the file then you can take that file and import in Outlook. Do you need more instructions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have exported to my Mac desktop. How do I burn the CD so I move them to my PC?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Actually that file is small enough to email to your work address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok emailed to my PC emails. How do I copy them into outlook?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You know my PC is out right now, I’m MAC guy I’ll have it up by tomorrow but I’m sure it is the same, find Import and just select your file I can tell you for sure tomorrow sorry, is that OK?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Actually I have to reinstall Office on my PC so what version are you using? You can let me know tomorow
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dummy time. Where do I look to see what version on Outlook I am using?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go here:

http://labs.brotherli.ch/vcfconvert/

selcet your vcard file and convert to csv, then go here and this is how you import into Outlook 2010 if you have an older veriosn it may be different.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
When you convert make sure you check the box to add headers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still not working. I saved the addresses file to my desktop and changed the ext to .csv. Then I went to outlook, file, open, found new file and clicked ok. Received a message telling me "select a new file of this type'???
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you check Add Headers when you converted? Do you have Outlook 2010?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to Start/Microsoft Office right click on Outlook and go to Properties. There you can see the version.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Outlook is 2007R2
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Importing into Outlook
  1. If you are importing into an existing Contacts folder, skip to step 3. To create a new folder in Outlook, click Folder List on the View menu, unless the Folder List is open already.
  2. Right-click the Contacts folder, and then click New Folder, type a name for the new folder, and then click OK.
  3. On the File menu, click Import and Export, click Next, click Comma Separated Values (Windows), and then click Next.
  4. If the file that is displayed is not the correct file, click Browse, browse to the folder noted in step 3, and then double-click the file to select it.
  5. If you are importing into a new folder, the Options settings is irrelevant because there are no duplicates. If not, choose the most logical selection. Click Allow duplicates if you are not sure, and then click Next.
  6. Click the Contacts folder, or other contacts-type folder that you have created, to import into, and then click Next.
  7. If you are not sure that the column names in the first row of the spreadsheet will map correctly to the Outlook fields, click Map custom fields to verify them.

NOTE: If Map custom fields is unavailable, you have chosen a non-contact-type folder to import into. Click Back, and then choose the correct folder. If you are satisfied with the mapping, click OK to close the Map Custom Fields dialog box, and then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry, but I have tried saving and it does not seem to hold. Just to make sure I am doing this correctly can you walk me through from the beginning. On my Mac the proper downloading to an email or CD. Then opening that file and saving it properly so I can find it later. I am trying not to be difficult, but there seems to be a missing part ...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Can you send me the file you emailed to yourself?

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You should have it. I re-downloaded and re-send so it was a clean copy. I did change the file ext to "csv" as previously instructed...

There was only to options to export . 1) Vcard file or 2) Address Archive. I sent you the Vcar file, but can send the other if needed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went ahead and sent you the other file. FYI, it took a longer time (over a minute) to upload where the first file I sent took seconds.

I assume my addresses remain confidential with you and will not be passed on or used for anything else. Correct?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely I will trash them. I am confused you sent an Address Book Archive which is not what you were suposed to Export. Threr are two choices when exporting from Address Book; Address Book Archive and vCard you were suposed to export vCard. Not sure what the other file is it is not vCard or csv?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The first file I sent was the Vcard file. When I saved it I changed the extension to "csv". I will go back and redo and send exactly as it is saved by system and send to you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK you are not doing it correctly, I told you to go to the website where you convert it, just changing the extension will not work. I converted it for you, go back to my FTP and download file called vcards.csv.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Done. Saved to my desktop
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK try importing that file
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received the following error message...

---------------------------
Translation Error
---------------------------
A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.

Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\Users\snicolaides\Desktop\vCards.csv". Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it, and that it is not open in another program.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry try downloading it again I replaced it with a file I resaved with Excel that seems to work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Weird. That worked, but only about 20 contacts imported. I have over 1900 in my contacts. Obivously, not all contacts copied. How do I fix that?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
There were only 20 contacts in that file did you highlight ALL contacts when you Exported in Address Book?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just went back did just that and uploaded to you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK I translated it and it is called vCards_All_Contacts.csv on my FTP.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not forgotten you. Was tied up. I downloaded the file and it asking for how I want the fields separated. Do you know the proper breaks. I have run out of time for today, but can pick this up again in the morning. I did try my own breaks, but it was taking forever to import, so if you can give the right breaks we should be able to wrap this up tomorrow...:) Thanks for hanging in there with me....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I didn’t get that here. Can you just bypass that and see how it imports, you can always delete them? I imported it here and there are some that are just numbers so that might be what is confusing it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning. Tried your suggestion. Looks like all the cards tried to load, but they are showing up as a list of address icon cards and the info is not being displayed, only as little cards in the left hand side of the screen.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Open the csv file with Excel and try to clean it up, get rid of bad addresses and those with missing info then resave it and try again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will, but right now I have to run out to a meeting and will not be back until after lunch. I will let you know when I have tried...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey I am back.....:)

I looked at the excel file and it is just one long list/stream of computer data. I can see the names, etc....but it would be very difficult to clean up. Maybe I am picking the wrong file in the contac list. I am using "commas, etc... for windows".

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The file was called vCards_All_Contacts.csv
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yeah I know. I was referring to once I am in the contracts\import file I have been choosing "comma separated values, windows" and not sure if that is the correct file to pick.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I was talking about in Excel it looks normal to me that is why I thought you had the wrong file.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how you do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just open it with Excel???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this version on excel is newer than I am use to. can you send me directions? I have to leave to catch a plane so maybe we can pick this up on Monday. I will clean up the file over the weekend. I am sorry I am taking so much of your time....have great weekend.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No problem if it doesn’t open by double clicking just open Excel and go to File/Open and pick the file. See you Monday
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yesterday was hell. I am back to try and get this done. You can charge me again if you need to. I clicked on the file and all I got was a list of stuff. It did not look like what you showed me on Friday. I am lost at this moment. Should we just start all over again? I can recopy the file and start again....??? You can also tell you are bored with me and I need to go elsewhere if you want....:)
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I have no control over adding more money you can always add a bonus at the end. Go to my FTP and download the two files there, one of them should work.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I signed off and left you a tip. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thank you