MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Why would my MAC Pro, OS X 10.5.8 not print on an HP Photosmart

Customer Question

Why would my MAC Pro, OS X 10.5.8 not print on an HP Photosmart C7280 printer when the computer shows the printer is ready, the console says it is sending the listed document to be printed, the printer beeps as if the document had been printed, and the listed document is not longer shown in the console, yet nothing was printed? I have a PC that prints the documents out perfectly on the same printer with no problem so I know it is not the printer. Thank you for your help! Ann
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean
the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* From what I understand per what you have tried already, I think the first thing you would need to do, is download and install the most current driver software from HP directly.

Usually the software drivers on their site for your printer are newer than the driver software you are attempting to install from the installation CD which came with your HP Photosmart C7280.

Therefore what I would initially like to advise, is that you install the latest drivers for your C7280 printer as provided directly from HP.

Here is the link:
HP Photosmart C7280 Mac OS X Printer Driver Update

Attempt to download and install this software driver first and then see if it makes a difference with the performance of your printer interfacing with your Mac Pro.

Also, during this process, make sure the USB cable for the printer, is firmly seated in the USB slot on your Mac Pro.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your update. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did all that already and it is on a wireless network from which the PC works and not the MAC. I even plugged the MAC directly into the MAC with the USB cable. I downloaded the newest software and driver from the directly from HP online.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Now that I understand you have already employed those steps, there is one more step which should help resolve this issue for you.
Apple and HP have collaborated and created a HP Printer driver update that you need to run.

According to HP's support forum for the C7280 printer, once the HP updated printer drivers are updated, then you need to run this update from Apple.

Here is the link for the update.
HP Printer Driver Update v1.1.1

Once you have ran this update, then click on the Apple menu icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select from the drop down menu, Software Updates. Run the Software Updates to make sure no further HP Printer Driver updates are available from Apple.

According to HP, this Apple update should help resolve your HP Photosmart C7280's inability to print on your Mac Pro.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for your patience!

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not work either. I tried to print a 3 page document - it printed the last page and then stopped with the document again gone from the print console.
Thanks for the update. You are definitely taking the right steps to resolve this printer issue thus far. In most cases
Printer issues like this are usually straightforward software issues. At this point to look further in this issue for you, I need you to provide me this information about your current network:
• what type of Internet service do you use?
• what brand of wireless router are you using?
• You mentioned that the PC can communicate with your printer, does it
Connect wirelessly or by direct USB connection to your C7280?
• Finally, is this the first time you have not been able to wirelessly print
to the HP with your Mac Pro, and can you recently performed any new
Sotware Updates on your Mac Pro?

I thank you in advance for your patience as I probe for more information in order
to work to determine what is causing the issue with you Mac Pro not being able to
effectively print.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX update to these inquiries.

-Terry

Edited by MacTechTrainer on 2/3/2011 at 1:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let me say first that I tried the MAC and the printer both wirelessly and with the USB and neither one worked. The PC will work both off wireless and the USB. I use ATT Internet DSL. The wireless is a 2Wire DSL modem with wireless capabilities and is close to my computers. I have used this printer and the MAC together for at least a year both wirelessly and and connected via USB. Tuesday, the 1st was the first time this problem has ever happened. I checked to see what updates were made to the software on the MAC and on the 31st iTunes did a software update. I thought I might be able to take the update off but don't know how to do that. Thanks again for you help.
Thank very much for the information, that is just what I needed to know.
Like you I have a mixed network in my home and what I can tell you is there is
a work around that might just help here -

Here is what I suggest:
• For your PC download Bonjour 1.2 from Apple
here is the link (just copy and paste in your web browser on your PC)
Or you can also Google "Bonjour for Windows).
Bonjour is a networking share service which allows PCs to wirelessly share devices
(like the C7280) over your network. It is easy to install and once installed can automatically
Will be able to see and communicate with your printer, whether it is connected to your Mac or
2 Wire DSL modem.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• For your Mac - what you can do is to click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen
then go into System Preferences, then select Print & Fax preference in the Preference Pane and right click on your
printer in the left column. Select reset printing system and that should do it.

Now at this point before you attempt to print- restart your Mac Pro and once you are back to your desktop, click anywhere on the blank area of your desktop -- this should bring the Finder name up near the Apple menu
icon.
•Now from the Finder menu bar click on "Go" then from the drop down menu select "Utilities"
• You will now from the Utilities window, locate and select the utility application called "Disk "Utility"
• Launch Disk Utility
• From with the application look on the left side bar and select your hard drive name
• One you have done that, select the button to the right entitled "Repair Disk Permissions"
• Let the repair process work to completion
• Run it a second time, even if no errors are found.
• Once you have done this, close Disk Utility
• Now proceed to run a test print.
See if the Mac Pro prints.

Let me know the outcome.

Thanks!

- Terry
Here is the link For downloading Bonjour for Windows on you PC-Sorry forgot to paste it in my previous reply to you.
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl999

-Terry
Hello Ann,

Just sending this post to you to remind you that your question is still a priority for me to answer for you.

I have not received a recent update from you at the present. Therefore, I wanted to assure you I am waiting for a reply from you, so we can either continue working on this issue or you confirm that the last processes provided worked and the issue has been resolved.

Thank you. I look forward to corresponding with you again, once you are back online with JustAnswer.com.

Sincerely,

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Terry, you are an incredible solver! It all worked great after going through all these steps! I am sorry I took so much of your time and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help! I was about to "lose" it over all this mess. I am presuming I can add another C7200 printer in another office when I get there. Have a grand day and stay warm!
Thank you very much for the Accept and the kindness of your bonus for my work Ann!

It is always a pleasure to assist a customer to resolution, and please don't worry, it was not time wasted for me. I am always open to learn even more in the midst of what I know through trial and error. So I was very glad to help you to completion indeed.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com, we hope we can assist you again for any needs with your Mac or PC products you may need assistance with.

Kindest Regards,

Terry
"Mactechtrainer"