Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

hi, sometimes apple does the most unexpected i downloaded

Customer Question

hi, sometimes apple does the most unexpected: i downloaded really important pictures from my camera (canon powershot g11) and when I said:"delete originals" (a question one gets asked after import), iphoto crashed and now all my pictures are gone. Is there any chance to recuperate them? I have not yet turned off my computer. thank you for support! Ursula
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
So they were deleted from the camera and iPhoto also?

First do this:

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK let me know. If OK:

Quit iPhoto, hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I did all you wrote above (HD was ok, btw) unfortunately this did not bring my pictures back. this is really bizarre. they just disappeared. They are neither on my camera nor on my computer. shouldn't they at least be in the trash bin? i never hit a delete button nor clean up or alike.
again what i did step by step: plug in camera for picture download, then hit on import, which then happens. in the end iphoto asks you if you want to keep or delete originals (meaning on the camera chip). I always hit delete originals. and just in that moment iphoto crashed. so how can it be that the pics are nowhere. either they must be on the chip, if it just crashed in the split of a second before the command was executed then they should still be on the camera, if it crashed just in after the command was executed then they should be somewhere on the computer. They can just not disappear, no?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Did you also Rebuild the Library?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i checked all the boxes and clicked on "rebuild"
and yes, including the library
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
In that case you might want to try software like this:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Mike. Unfortunately all you tips did not help. What I learned from others is that we could have had a chance to get the pictures back, if I had not used the camera after the crash, but that you did not tell me. I will bring my computer to a local (Stockholm, Sweden) repair shop and hope they can find something on the HD, but they say chances are small.
Do I get my deposit back, or how long will it be available for potential later questions?

Thank you for your effort and best regards,
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
If you did not even try the software you do not know if my “tips did not help”? How many photos did you take after the deletion? Of course I assumed you would know that using the camera and putting more photos on it would make getting the deleted photos back harder. Isn‘t that common sense? You can probably still get most of them back. My suggestions were correct.