Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I cant open Safari. Your network settings have been changed

Customer Question

I can't open Safari. "Your network settings have been changed by another application " Also, I do not share this computer. Why is another name added as a user? I don't recognize the name
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Before I can accurately answer this I need a little more information please.
What version of Mac OS X are you using?
What is the name of this new user, would it be other?
Any details that you can fill in will be helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OSX 10.4.11
Name: Jean
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You must not be Jean, it is easily removed if you like.
The network settings thing is fixed this way, read it carefully and follow it and the issue will be fixed.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

'Your network settings have been changed by another app' - THE SOLUTION

This currently reported problem, which manifests after applying Security Update 2008-06, can be fixed permanently by removing the following preferences files:

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

The Library is found by opening a finder window in column view and clicking on the hard drive, then on Library, Preferences and scrolling to the bottom to find SystemConfiguration. All of the following items are in that folder. New ones will be created.

All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system features are accessed. If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences files are removed. Small price to pay, however for a permanent, and very simple solution to this irritating problem.

There is this also.

To remove the extra user simply open System Preferences/Accounts, click on the lock if locked and type in your password.
Now click once on the extra user and then click on the - sign just above the lock.
It will ask if you wish to delete or archive, your choice. Now that user is gone.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can 't open system preferences/accounts. Can 't open finder window-column view. I give up. Thanks for all your time and help. Sorry but I have no more time or patience.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
If the lock is closed then click on the lock and type in your user password, this will unlock it so you can change things.
The things I gave you will fix your problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It appeared that somehow my computer was broken into and I was unable to follow your directions. As I previously stated, I gave up. The computer is disposed of. I now have a new one. I appreciate your attempts to help, but the situation was hopeless. I apologize for wasting your time.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
While I'm happy that you have a new computerI'm not sure I understand what you mean by somehow your computer was broken into.
What it had was a software glitch, no one got into your machine and changed things around.
It is never a waste of time to help someone the problem, I thank you for getting back to me.
Enjoy your new computer.