Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a mac mini with Snow Leopard OS. I had it connected

I have a mac mini with Snow Leopard OS. I had it connected to a La Cie Backup drive. I tried to put a huge file into the trash. It took forever with the spinning wheel so I turned off the power. Now I can get the opening page and it will allow me to put in my password, but then it hangs up with the file that I tried to throw away on the screen and the beach ball
spinning. It is like it is still trying to put those files in the trash. In the background, Mail opens up, Safari and Storyist (all selected to open up on boot.

The reason I mention the backup Lacie drive is that it seems to be making some kind of connectionwith it. I don't believe the file I tried to put in the trash were on the LaCie drive but it does seem to be connected with it somehow.

I have tried to reboot many times but the same thing is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Put the current operating system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.