Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am working in imovie 09. I have created a 50 minute imovie

I am working in imovie '09. I have created a 50 minute imovie using clips from multiple sources (all home video but stored on my computer and 2 different external hard drives), added many sound effects, and clips are short (from 3 seconds to 5 minutes) and have multiple overlaying sound effects. Problem occurs when I export to media (so I can create an idvd) the sound doesn't track with the video. When I play it on the small screen in imovie, it plays fine, and looks perfect to export. When I play it in imovie "full screen" the sound moves off track. When I check it in idvd (media, movie) the sound is off track. So I am sure that the problem is in imovie. Thoughts?
There is no way to move this project to garage band to solve the problem because there are far too many tiny clips and sound effects.
Really appreciate any helpful suggestions here...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
One thing that does work most of the time is a combination of things.
Repairing Permissions, doing a SafeBoot (runs UNIX maintenance routines on logs and caches) and then trashing the iMovie plists.
This has worked for me with this issue.
Repairing Permissions That PDF explains permissions.

The imovie plist is located following the path below, note iMovie must not be running for this or it will not work.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
iDVD plist could also be trashed and not hurt anything. They will create new ones, it will not affect or lose any projects or events.
To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Try that and then try what you are doing and see if there is improvement, let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I think I can follow these directions. I just updated my software and rebooted the system so I can start "fresh" after I do this procedure. What I am not tracking is the last step "and then trashing the imovie plists."
Can you explain in further detail, and reassure me that it won't harm in anyway my hundreds of movies that I have created both on my mac and external hard drives? Do I need to do this procedure with each of the 2 external harddrives that I have some of the movies stored on? As you know, an imovie project can be created by pulling clips off the external hard drives and so not all the movies are on my mac directly. Should I have these hard drives running when I do this procedure?
Thanks!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
The plists get twisted as it were and so sound tracking gets off and other strange behavior happens because this is were it stores those settings, it creates a new uncorrupted plist.
It does not store project files or what you have done to them. Make sense?
It will act as though it has never been opened so be prepared for that.
As for the externals leave as is, just make sure that iMovie is not running or it will do nothing.

Edited by Daniel on 2/2/2011 at 6:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just repaired permissions and things seemed to go find. There was quite a list. I only did this on my computer HD rather than the 2 external HD's. OKay?
The steps you outlined say to do the safeboot next, but the directions walk me through the plist trashing. Is the order important?
When I go to my Library-preferences-and then look for imovie plist. I see 2 things listed: com.apple.imovie7.plist and the same thing for imovie8. I don't see anything for I movie09 which is what I have installed on my computer. I do see idvdplist, so do I only drag that one to the trash and leave the others?
Thanks for your quick response and patients!!!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It is called iMovie 08, they never renamed it for newer versions. You may also see SUID that will not be repaired, ignore that it means nothing.
Try the iMovie after each just to keep track of what or where that problem was. It might have only been a permissions thing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to say this has not fixed my problem. I went through each step (although I could NOT open imovie "requires data card for quartz extreme") in the safe boot mode.
It looks and sounds fine in imovie, but when exported to "media" for burning in idvd, the sound is off.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Try locking the audio clips where they belong, this is reported to work.
When I have issues like this I bypass the share function and go directly to where the .mov is and drag that to iDVD. For some reason this keeps it all together.
The way to do this is to right click the iMovie project that you are trying to burn, select Show Package Contents,

Register Here
Then drag the file that corresponds to the image below.

Register Here
Drag that to iDVD and see what you get, I do this as standard, it has saved many a movie.
I also recommend making a Disk Image as opposed to burning, I used to make lots of coasters before I got that one.
Then once it is as you like use Disk utility to do the burning of the image to a DVD, works the same as if you used iDVD to burn it.
Let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't find any of the windows that you put up here, in either imovie or idvd, but have to stop working on this for now. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
They are there I promise. Tomorrow we can try again, I will break it down a bit more.
About 10 est?