Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have an i-mac 10.4. I seem to have lost my Entourage folders

Customer Question

I have an i-mac 10.4. I seem to have lost my Entourage folders' contents (several thousand items from my inbox, sent items and address book). It happened on 1/27/11. I had selected my machine's offer to update my Entourage 2004 program. The operation required restarting. I did. But the new program left me without the saved data (prior inbox contents, sent items, address book, etc.). I was also unable to send email. A technician at my university was able to fix the email (sending) problem (server path problem), but was stymied trying to find my lost Entourage data. I'm told that my server should have a record of the data that I lost and that you folks might be able to help me access it.

perk
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry I took so long.
I followed your instructions. Here's what I got:

version: 10.4.11
processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 1 GB667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

"First Aid failed, the vol mac HD needs to be repaired", so I clicked "Repair Disk Permissions"

I got "Permissions repair complete"

What next? perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You need to Repair the drive not Permissions. Was that not available after you ran Verify Disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

Yes, after I ran verify disk, "repair disk" was not available.

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK put the current operating system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The disk is in. But I didn't see any apple logo or any utility menu. Should I have cleared my screen of your emails and my applications list? But I do see the Mac OS X disc icon on my desk top.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
put the current operating system disk in and restart holding down the C key, bookmark this page
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

I don't know my ass from my elbow with this machine, so I'm having trouble with your most recent instructions. I'm going to try the disc insert, restart holding down c sequence again.

Don't abandon me, please. I'm not in any hurry. But if you can't get back to me right away, not a problem.

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What is the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

I got thru the sequence and got "permissions corrected", "privileges verified or repaired". It took me a long time to get out of Install and restart my machine.

What next?

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you Verify Disk first?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 2/2/2011 at 9:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I did first verify it, but I think I better do it again because I didn't get a clear answer like "verified" or "can't verify." I'm thinking maybe my request to verify didn't register.

I'm tired, but don't want to give up. Let me contact you tomorrow afternoon to continue, please. I'll get back to you around 3:30 pm EST.

Thanks,

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You can come back here when ready.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Mike.
I'm about to shovel some snow (about a foot here, Concord NH). I'll email tomorrow afternoon.

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK here too, good luck it just stopped here you may get it later
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

The disc needed repair. I got it done following your instructions. I'll get back to you around 4:00pm EST

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX got tied up at school. I'll contact you tomorrow re ideas about finding my "disappeared" Entourage folder contents (prior to 1/27/11).

Cheers,

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,

Any ideas on my missing Entourage data?

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Quit Entourage and hold down Option and start Entourage. Rebuild the database.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

Thanks. What's involved in rebuilding? Are you talking about retrieving data?
How do I rebuild a folder that contained several thousand "sent items" over a period of several years?

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If you hold down Option when opening Entourage you will see. It will rebuild the Entourage database.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

I choose rebuild; reported data base rebuilt. At that point I choose quit rather than continue, and I don't think I answered as to which data base to maintain. Should I have?
Now what?

perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No just open Entourage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

I've got it open.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you missing emails back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I can't see that my entourage folders have changed (recovered any missing emails) since I rebuilt a few minutes ago.

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry yes or no are your emails back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, they are not back.

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Who is your email provider?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry again. My provider is Earthlink.
I notice that at the top of my email screen I see "Mail. Main identity." Is that OK?

perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is OK, if you go to your webmail version or Earthlink is the email still missing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

My Earthlink Webmail is empty. Doesn't even have recent stuff.

p
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It must be a POP account which means after you download from Entourage it is removed from their servers. If possible you should change it to IMAP which is ALL stored on their servers and you can‘t really lose anything regardless of what happens on your desktop mail. If not change your Entourage POP Account preferences to Leave a copy of the email on the sever. If you have a backup you might be able to get your emails back but otherwise you should contact Earthlink and tell them what happened . If you have not deleted them yourself they may be able to help you with a backup.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

THanks. I'll contact Earthlink.
I'm satisfied. I think you've earned your $. And I know a lot more about my machine now. THanks again.

Perk
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK good luck.