Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a succession

When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a succession of messages saying a font is corrupt and should be removed. This continues font after font after font. I am using Mac OS 10.4.11. What can I do?
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can reset the fonts, this might not work but its worth a try.
  • Close Word and Excel
  • Create two folders named Temp and TempUsr on your desktop (you can use any name to folders)
  • Move all fonts from Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts to the Temp folder in Desktop
  • Remove all fonts from Macinros HD/User/Library/Fonts to the TempUsr folder in Desktop
  • Now restart your Mac.
  • Open Word or/and Excel.

Does that worked ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed all fonts from MacIntosh HD/Library?Fonts to the temp folder. I do not know what Macinros HD User Library Fonts is and when I did a search for Macinros, it did not appear anywhere on my computer. I restarted my computer, but still have the same problem.
You can see a Users folder inside Macintosh HD. Macintosh HD is your hard disk. It may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc. Remove fonts from that folder too. Let me know how it goes..

Try this if that doesn't worked. Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your username folder/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/ and trash the whole folder Office200x (x is the version number of your Office)

Also delete the normal template..

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your username folder/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ and trash "Normal.dotm"

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I deleted the Office 200x folder from the Library/Preferences/Microsoft folder. I do not have User Templates or Normal.dotm files. The only thing in the Application Support/Microsoft file is something called Silverlight. I restarted my computer and still have the problem.
Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know how it goes....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, that didn't work either. I decided to try removing the entire Microsoft folder from the Library/Preferences folder, but when I tried to open word, it informed me that it was installing all the microsoft fonts, and I still had the problem.
Thats odd. How about Power Point ? Does it opens fine ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I never use Powerpoint so hadn't thought to check, but it does the same thing.
I think your entire Office suite is corrupted. Do you have the Office installation discs ?
Also, you can try to remove the FontCacheTool from your Mac. Search FontCacheTool in Finder and it if founds it, then trash it. Let me know if that doesn't worked...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
If nothing worked, then reinstall your Office from the discs. But before that, you can try to remove the FontCacheTool from your Mac. Search FontCacheTool in Finder and it if founds it, then trash it. Let me know if that doesn't worked...

Best Regards,