iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

Hi I am trying to buy a extra large book in iphoto 09. There

Hi I am trying to buy a extra large book in iphoto '09. There are 100 pages in the book. When the book tries to assemble the process hangs and then iphoto freezes. it happens with different pages . . . sometimes pg 26, sometimes 57, neither of which contain maps. I have tried rebuilding my library. Deleting preferences (, deleting the keylist. Deleting the cache. Rebooting in safemode. I have no other programs running when I am trying to assemble the book. And the book does assemble fine for preview and the pdf file is saved on my HD. What else can I try?

iteachmac :

Hi , tricky problem .

iteachmac :

Please try repairs to the Mac HD .

iteachmac :

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Carry out repairs twice and then verify on both Mac HD and other partitions if any , also do same for your external HDD's if you have any , in turn .

Review this video to become familiar with the below procedure ..

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Please run repairs on all your Mac HD partitions and disks.
Choose in turn the drive name from the left hand list , and use repair .

Run repairs twice if RED errors where found , check to see if they are now cleared.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

You can also try this more simple step to try to correct issues :-

Turn off the Mac .

Power on the Mac .

Hold shift on the keyboard using a USB keyboard , while powering on the Mac and booting , boot to safe mode.

Once booted to safe mode , restart and boot as normal .

Full details here :-

This may fix minor issues but it is best to run a Full Mac HD repair from the OSX DVD installer disk , use the OSX disk that goes with your current OSX install ..

I hope this helps .

if you still have issues or are unsure please let me know .

iteachmac :

the problem may be a permissions issue with one or more photos , ? unknown at this time .

iteachmac :

here are some ideas of problems to do with file permissions.

iteachmac :

You may need to rebuild your iphoto library!

Hold down the CMD & Alt while opening iPhoto and select rebuild library...

This should get you up and running again , or you may be presented with the following options :

1) rebuild the photos' small thumbnails
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails (this may take a while)
3) rebuild the iphoto library database
4) recover orphaned photos in the iphoto library folder
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions

Please carry out the options for repair / rebuild of the iphoto library in the order below:

3) rebuild the iphoto library database.

If needed.
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions.

If needed.
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails .

You should run a full repair on your Mac HD and repair permissions also for Mac HD .
You may fix issues that are related and more wide spread , a possible cause for the problem with iphoto library . .

Checks for correct running of OSX and applications on Mac OSX .

The Mac HD needs around 8 GB free to work correctly , esp with caches for imovie , iphoto etc ,and or scratch disk use with other applications ..

iteachmac :

If there's still no difference with your issue , please let me know .

It maybe time to trash the iphoto preferences file , " ".

Please Trash the plist file , " " .
Found in the Mac HD / Users / Youruser / Library / Preferences /

Reboot and then launch iPhoto and test .

iteachmac :

iteachmac :

Permissions for files other than the system.

iteachmac :

permissions problems if suspected or found can be fixed by correcting permissions with the files in use . Duplicating files or projects to the desktop and back again can sometimes over come these errors in the action . The same goes for video files and data files & projects and photos .

Or they can be fixed with a tool :-

Permissions problems , normally occur when your copying file/s from a external HD or from second computer for instance or burnt CD DVD from a second other computer or account user .

We need Admin "Read" and "Write" permissions , as long as your user account is an admin account , normally there is no need to add your user by name for Read Write etc .

Permissions problems can be fixed faster with a drag and drop tool , **see below** .

If you import photos the normal way in to iphoto , and not by placing them inside the package contents folders , this should not be an issue . Other files copied from other computers or via USB sticks etc can sometimes have problems with permissions.

Here is the tool to fix them:-

Please read the guide that will introduce you to its basic function.
Click the advanced arrow to select your ownership permissions etc .

You can drag and drop with the tool :)

Do not drag and drop files from within a iphoto library , please do your fix before your import , on a folder with your files in it from the desktop .

Check your permissions by hand after you have applied the fix to a file or group of files after using the tool . I assume you have learned this step already? please ask if you don't know how to check permissions in the Finder.

iteachmac :

Ok , I hope the helps .