Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I pray you can help me, I had a update for iphoto for my mac

Customer Question

I pray you can help me, I had a update for iphoto for my mac and now all my pictures are gone and I have OLD pictures from 5-6 years ago?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Your photos are still there. I need more info before I can help.
What version of Mac OS X do you have? Find that like the images show.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
What version of iPhoto did you have and what did you update to?
Are you comfortable digging into the file system on the Mac?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS X version 10.5.8
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the Processor is 2.93 ghz intel core 2 duo
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I suggest starting with some basics, this is something that should be done at least after any Apple software updates and I recommend doing it before. It can save headaches like this.
That is a link to a PDF that explains how and why, you will find it in your downloads or you can double click it in the downloads window.
Once that is done and if iPhoto will open then use this to rebuild the library.
Quit iPhoto if open, then press and hold the Option and Command keys and open iPhoto, you will see this.

Register Here
Or this,

Register Here
Your photos should reappear.
Do not accept until all is fixed, let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No this did not work? one thing I think is od, is on my Macintosh HD (wish I could send you screen captue of it, but is another icon of my hard drive with a black arrow on bottom left corner?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That is an alias and can be safely dragged to the trash.
Does iPhoto open?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I photo does open, I was looking at my download log and see it was not iphoto but - 2011-01-31 16:43:24 -0600: Installed "iTunes" (10.1.2)
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then this should get your photos back.
Open a finder window by clicking on the face in the dock. Now put it in column view.

Register Here
Click on Pictures under Places in the left side of the finder window, then right or control click on iPhoto Library and select 'Show Package Contents'.
In there will be a folder called Originals. That is where all your photos are in their untouched state.
Now you know how to find them. Open iPhoto while holding the Option key and select Choose Library, navigate to the iPhoto Library and select.
If it shows you this then select Choose.

Register Here

If it shows you something else like no Library then navigate to the iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel, i opened finder put into column view
But under places on the left side the choices I have are
desktop
catherine
applications
documents
?
I clicked on Catherine there is a picture folder but nothing is in it...?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That is not a good sign.
In that same finder window there is a text box in the right corner, type iPhoto in there and if shows nothing then try Originals, iPhoto Library, Library and other keywords that may help locate the folder/files we are looking for.
If it finds something there will be a path on the bottom of the window showing you where it is now located.
Sorry I was late getting back, had to dig out a bit of snow.
Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh no! how can this be, i see iphoto but it goes back to a really old version that was not even on this machine which is crazy! and all my recent files uploaded gone? I was trying to down load a file from FileZilla and must of done someting trying to get set up with sharing? oh I wish I was a IT geru. Also have an external G-Drive mini
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
What version is it? What version did you have? Does it have a Library with photos in it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the newer I photo I installer pkg was wed jan 14 2009, wish I could send you a screen capture?
and Funny Im digging out too. live in Wisconsin. the Iphoto that pops up that has pictures is a really 2008 of just work picutures somehow an older version replaced my newer version?
I also see some 2009-10-26-205825-iphoto.hang hang report?
Im sure you could make some sence of of all the stuff I can see any way to send you a screen shot?
Im keepen on praying that somehow God will fix this through you? :)
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
First do not panic. Take a deep breath and in the menu bar under iPhoto select About iPhoto and tell me the version number. The whole number including after any dots.

Register Here
Also how long have you had this Mac and when was the last time it had any routine maintenance? They are like cars, once in a while an oil change, tires check a wash keeps things running. Computers need TLC also.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Iphoto 9 version 8.1.2
I have had this Imac since 2009, I routinely do a disk utility about 2 a month.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Then you do well with Permissions.
That is not so old, I have the next one that comes in iLife 11-iPhoto 9.1.1. If you had that version then you should have the installation disk.
This has been suggested by others that have this problem.

This is suggested also, try them and see what happens.

If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

In the iPhoto Preferences -> Events Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the problem is I am missing ALL of my 2010 photos! where did those go? how do I find them. I downloaded as you suggested but the iphoto coming up is from 08?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
They may be hidden, it is very unusual for this to happen.
This utility can unhide everything on your Mac, make sure that you reverse it after searching.
It is self explanatory but basically you check the box to show hidden files and relaunch the finder.
Then use spotlight and see what happens or use the Option open iPhoto.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want to make sure I have this right
I download the fat cat soft ware rebuild my image library using the iphoto library manager, then use tinkerTool? I am so scared of loosing everything? by one wrong click
Sorry could you just give me step by step instructions?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I would try Tinker tool first just to see if something shows up, it will not alter any thing, it will just allow you to see normally hidden files. When done turn that back off, it can get confusing.
Then if you don't find what you are looking for use the FatCat and see if that does better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the only thing I see from Tinker is a file on NAC HD with folder with little black arrow in lower left corner
called tmp inside that folder is a greyed out item called finder_Pictures_5 in there is a iPhotoLibrary icon with date 5.5.09 but shows odifies at 12:55 today its 17.63 GB...that is a little encouraging how do I see what is in it do I just click it?????
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes, double click that. If there is a dot in front of the name then you can rename that without the dot or better yet move what you find inside to a new folder on your desk top.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its a greyed out file and when I click on it I get three choices
iphoto library with date 5.5.09 ( I am coping it now) but afraid these are my old files)
.DS_Store
.localized
still not finding anything that has 2010 on it??
it says the volume .DS_store can not be its invisable?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
DS store is for system use and will not help.
The next choice is data recovery if FatCat and Tinkertool doesn't do it.
How many photos did you find?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went back the FTP site and found most from 2003-2009? I am backing up and burning CDs now.
I am still missing all last year 2010 and some of this year 2011? any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Try FatCat before anything else.
Then if that fails this is what I use for data recovery in cases like this, it isn't cheap but it is cheaper than if you take it to a data recovery outfit and will have similar results.
I also use this utility but I don't think that this is your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ill try after I am done backing up all photos I do have. Also can you walk me through what I should do with Fatcat steps.
thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That is all on the webpage and explains it better than I can.
If you run into something you don't understand I can maybe clarify.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HI Daniel
Well I did the tinker, then did the iphoto library rebuilt, but still no 2010 pictures at all so all of last year is not coming up? what do I do now?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It depends on what you think those photo are worth.
This is a utility I use for dat recovery in cases like this called Data Rescue, costs about $100 but I do recommend it.
We did all we could do this way, if you are close to an Apple store an Apple Genius may be able to help.
I don't know what they would do that we haven't.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what will data rescue do how does it work?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I suggest going to the site and reading about it, in a nut shell it scours the hard drive for data, it does not rely on the directory (which in this case is corrupted), it is very good at finding photos.
It does require an external drive so as not to overwrite the files you are trying to recover.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks I am downloading.
take care and god bless!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Just proceed with caution. You will need an external drive also.
Thank you and God speed.