Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My machine a macbook Pro keeps cutting out and the screen goes

Customer Question

My machine a macbook Pro keeps cutting out and the screen goes blank. It happens when I am in the middle of writing a letter, downloading something, going on line, whatever. There seems no rhyme or reason to it. Would be very grateful for your advice.

AnXXXXX XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello Antony, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Can you tell me the version of Mac OS X that is on it?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
What, if any, peripherals are connected, such as external monitors, mice, keyboards etc?
Does it shut down or does it come back?
Have you installed any software or Apple updates recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry couldn't reply, tried to several times but each time it cut out and the screen went blank. I turned the machine off altogether and having turned on again am able to write to you. It keeps asking for my AOL password.

The machine doesn't shut down, the screen just goes blank and I have to for example point to the e-mail icon to reaccess my post.

Don't think any new software downloaded this past two weeks or so.

No external monitors or peripherals connected at present.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I want you to do a pram reset, this may help keep it on.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.
Do that and get back to me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Daniel, many thanks for your help. I think I will visit a nearby Apple shop tomorrow and ask them to help me. It makes it rather protracted conversing with you when I can't respond promptly to your questions due to cutting out. Apologies for troubling you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I understand completely, they can sort it out for sure. make note of this so you can get your deposit back.