MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

Putchased an internet security application that requires me

Customer Question

Putchased an internet security application that requires me to set up a VPN connection which, of course, I haven't a clue how to do. Vendor tells me to contact my system administrator? Can you walk me step-by-step through setting up a VPN on a Mac, running 10.6.6
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
font.f1 { font: 14px Times; } font.f1 { font: 15px Times; } Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with

I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

(Please Note: In advance I appreciate your Accept. However, your feedback is a very important determination of how I provide service to you, so please complete the survey at the end of this session- Thanks!)

What is the name of the Internet Security application you are attempting to set up?
• What type of Mac do you have?

If you can provide the answers to these questions for me, it will allow me to further assist you in order to resolve your request.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The application is "SHIMO", purchased from Chungwasoft ( Trying to install on a brand-new MacBook Air, but would also like to put it on my iMac desktop when I get home in two weeks.
Thanks for your reply.

In reviewing Shimo, What you need to have set up is an L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol )connection, which is the protocol that allows you to set up a private network that you can log into from any of your computers.

This application Shimo, in essence allows the user to integrate different VPN accounts within its application for easier VPN access and management for any number of VPN accounts you may have.

So in essence what you have to do in order to use Shimo, is to setup a VPN account first and Shimo actually recommends using VyprVPN service and set up an account with that VPN service which will then allow you to use Shimo to manage your new VyprVPN account (or any other VPN account you set up).
Here is the link they provide where you can get more information about setting up that account : VyprVPN Account

To simplify the understanding of this process, Shimo, again is more like a repository application: it allows you to set up multiple VPN accounts of your choice and then manages them for you with some unique tools integrated into the Shimo application framework.

So first things first: you need to decide what VPN protocol you want to go with (most common is L2TP, but there is also PPTP- Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol- which is functional, but not as robust insecurity like L2TP)
Then you need to decide which VPN service you want to set up a connection with (i.e. CiscoVPN, AnyConnect, etc) and then run through setting up that account.

Once you have a solid active VPN account up and running, then you can use Shimo to manage that VPN account.

Let me know if this is steering you in the right direction of understanding. I know this can be a bit daunting as far as understanding the setup process, so I will help you as much as I can.

Thanks for your patience, I realize it took me awhile to get back to you, but I wanted to carefully detail this information for you to help answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX any further questions you may have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply Terry. I have to go out for a while so I won't be able to try your solution until this evening. I will let you know how I did, if if I have a problem, later on.
Stan Shulman
No worries Stan- I look forward to your update then.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Appreciate your patience. Did not realize that VPN was a paid service. Am working with Goldfrog, the site I was directed to by VyprVPN , but am getting hung up on the installation. When I get to the "Import" step for their certificate in Keychain everything is grayed out. Cannot import it and go on to next step. Am awaiting their reply and if nit successful will try with another VPN provider. You pointed me in the right direction, although I have not yet completed the journey, and I will, therefore accept your answer. Thanks for your help.
Stan Shulman
Glad to be of service Stan.
There can be one of two things going on here--
If the keychain is grayed out, it has already been added to the list of keychains in Keychain Access.
Or, you may need to check the date of that certificate is not already expired. Make sure to check your Date & Time settings located on your on your Apple menu bar (upper left corner), is set for the right date, if it is not, make sure to
correct that setting.

Let me know if this helps.

Will watch for your update.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. You did your part. I will accept your answer and give you an excellent rating.

FYI: Goldenfrog may be a good product bur their support people could not get me past the installation keychain step, probably my lack of expertise.

Anyway, I'm going to try an outfit called and see if I have any better luck. Probably won't but, what the hell? Take care.

Stan Shulman
Haa haaaa, I like your spirit in this matter Stan!

I appreciate your Accept, but I let me add this- as you are going through your trials of which VPN service best fits your need- if you need further advice, please feel free to request "Mactechtrainer"- I will be glad to assist you if you have more questions or run into any challenges with your VPN service. Just let me know (if you do request me on this subject again) what VPN service you are working with and I will take a look at it on my test Mac to better assist you.

Thanks again for trusting me to help you as well as I could and thank you for using

Warmest Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. It's at I'll probably start messing around with it tomorrow, or not, depending on how confident I feel. The instructions on their web site look like something even I can follow.
Well keep me posted Stan. When I have a chance, I will take a look at it myself as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.