Mary
Mary, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ years supporting the Mac graphic arts industry
44751453

I would like to connect my xerox workcentre M24 to my apple

Customer Question

I would like to connect my xerox workcentre M24 to my apple computer Mac os 10.5.8 over the ethernet. the postscript module is not installed
Can someone help me on a driver. Or a partnumber where so i can look and buy the module?
Kind regards
Jo
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
http://www.support.xerox.com/support/workcentre-m24/downloads/enus.html?operatingSystem=macosx&fileLanguage=en
is the official source of all MAC OS X (10.x) drivers for this model of Xerox (the M24.)

Note that both of the driver downloads listed are for versions before [your] 10.5.X

http://bstdownload.com/reviews/xerox-workcentre-m24-printer-driver/
offers a download for an M24 driver that claims compatibility with (unspecified versions of) MAC OS X.

This page
http://www.oasq.com/Drivers-RIP-emulators-for-Xerox-WorkCenter-thread-178473-1-1.html
discusses the issue of getting a Xerox driver for MAC OS X.... if not your model specifically to any extent that I could guarantee.

Additional: This eBay offer is for a 'Repair Service Manual' for Xerox M20 - closely related presumably - it might not have *any* info in it, on MAC OS X compatibility - I should rather suppose not - but it's available, for only 2.49 no less (w/free shipping):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xerox-WorkCentre-M20-Repair-Service-Manual-/260727921045?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3cb4985995

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)

Edited by Russell H. on 2/2/2011 at 3:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your respons,

the sites you gave me, i already tried.
at the first site (xerox) the driver is for a M24 where the PS3 module is installed (1300 euro).
The second site, goes to the xerox website (first website you said)
The third, i also already tried, and didn't work . The M24 keeps printing in B/W

And i paid 2,99 Euro's at driverguide.net and got the driver of the xerox website, which one can download for free.......

There must be some people who print to a M24 from a mac, how can you find them?

kind regards
jo
I frankly don't know where you could find such a driver, if the sources I have already offered don't have one.

I would say this question has changed from a printer issue per se, to a 'locate Apple/MAC OS X software' sort of issue - so I am Opting Out, and also changing the category in which this question is listed, to MAC instead of Printers And Office - I hope some Apple expert will have suggestions to help you locate a driver of this sort. Thanks for following the process thus far. Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Russel !
Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jo, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your Xerox/Mac issue.

As you know, the Xerox M24 supports only the PCL language unless the options PS module is added.

Under 10.5, there is a built-in Gutenprint driver for "Generic PCL 5c Printer" which will support color, but because it is supports a generic device, you will only be able to access the most basic of print functions (no special media selection, no machine-specific features, such as duplexing, sorting, finishing).

If all you need is basic single-sided prints from the machine, this should work for you.

However, if you want to be able to access the full functionality of the device, you will need to purchase and have installed the PS module.

I do have a few online sources that I'm happy to check to see if the module is available for sale. However, if you have a service contract on this machine, it is probably much better if you talk to your dealer representative. Unless you have the proper tools and experience, I don't recommend that you consider installing this part on your own.

However, do let me know what happens when you try the driver I recommended and whether you'd like me to hunt down some sources for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mary,
thanks for helping me, i really appreciate it,
i already tried Gimp-Gutenprint pcl 5c, but can't print in color.
I can only choose between "grayscale" and "reversed grayscale".

any idea?

kind regards,
Jo

Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jo and thanks for the response.

I'm going offline for the night soon, but in the meantime, see if you can find any generic PCL drivers that support PCL 5e or PCL 6 (any variation). Let me know if you can print color from any of these.

And I assume that you are printing a color document from a program that supports color.

Give me more information if you can: what program are you printing from and what is the document type?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mary,

i'm printing a pdf with the standard program preview.
I've read somewhere that gutenprint generic pcl5c doesn't print in color, just in graysale.

i' ve tried gutenprint, foomatic and gplgs and a lot of linux ppd files

kind regards,
Jo

Expert:  Mary replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the response Jo.

It sounds like you've already tried all of the other things I was going to suggest. I had hoped that something might work, but like you I'm seeing a lot of discussions relating to this greyscale-only issue.

After all this work on your part, I think the only thing left to do is look into getting a PS module for the printer. Since it's a discontinued machine, the part should be fairly inexpensive.

I'm happy to do some research and provide links if you'd like me to do so.

Mary

Mary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much do you think that part goes?
I' ve already looked around on the internet, and i got prices of 1000 Euro and more.
( Xerox PSKIT24 XEROX M24 POSTSCRIPT 3 UPGRADE KIT )
Since i bought the printer for 500 euro, and not knowing how long it will work, 1000 euro is way to much for us. Do you think you can find inexpensive/second hand ones?
kind regards
Jo