Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

How do I restore my hard disk to a back up I have the disk

Customer Question

How do I restore my hard disk to a back up? I have the disk backed up to an external hard drive using time machine, but when I open the Time Machine screen, the "restore" button in the lower right hand corner is dimmed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You can‘t restore the whole computer that way only individual files. What are you trying to do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to restore my dock to the way it was a few days ago, as well as my mail set up the way it was a few days ago, and my appearance, desktop and screensaver and language and text to the way they were before.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You would be better off just changing those preferences manually rather than trying to bring them back. Your Desktop, Screensaver, Language and “Text (not sure what you mean by that one)” are easily changed in System Preferences as far as Dock you can either just drag them back the way they were before or you can try to bring back from TM by going to homefolder/Library/Preferences and bring these files back:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

As far as Mail that might be tricky what is the problem with Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is now fixed.
The problem with the mail is that it used to have my, as well as my accounts on it, but now the account vanished.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is the Earthlink account POP or IMAP do you know?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Earthlink account is a POP account.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Sorry are you using Apple Mail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, and, not only that, I just figured out how to add the Earthlink POP account. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK great!