Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Whenever I pull up NETWORK I get a window that reads YOUR

Whenever I pull up NETWORK I get a window that reads: "YOUR NETWORK SETTINGS HAVE BEEN CHANGED BY ANOTHER APPLICATION." I am unable to get rid of that window unless I do "force quit". Can you help? Thank you, Jeanette
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jeanette, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
This is what happened to cause that (most likely).

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

'Your network settings have been changed by another app' - THE SOLUTION

This currently reported problem, which manifests after applying Security Update 2008-06, can be fixed permanently by removing the following preferences files:

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

Located looking here. This is on the main hard drive.

Register Here

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

com.apple.nat.plist

All these files will regenerate as necessary when the associated system features are accessed. If you're using Airport or Internet Sharing you'll have to reestablish the appropriate settings, because these will have been lost when the preferences files are removed. Small price to pay, however for a permanent, and very simple solution to this irritating problem.

There is this also.

http://www.appleinkmagazine.com/?cat=6

If you have trouble then I can break it down to make it easier.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan, when it comes to technical computer stuff, I am a total zero. I can't move your window. the right side only shows a partial column. Also please break stuff down and tell me exactly what I need to remove. Thank you so much, Jeanette
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
What browser are you using? If it does not fit in the window there are two things to try, one is to hold down the command key and then press the - sign, this will make the contents of the window smaller or try scrolling sideways.
To find those files open a finder window by selecting 'New Finder Windwo' from the Finder drop down menu.

Register Here
Then switch to column view this way.

Register Here
Now click on your hard drive (probably called Mac HD).
Next click on Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurations.

Register Here

The following sets it out and will fit with the images above.

Register Here

The Library is found by opening a finder window in column view and clicking on the hard drive, then on Library, Preferences and scrolling to the bottom to find SystemConfiguration. All of the following items are in that folder. New ones will be created.

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

com.apple.nat.plist

There is this also.

http://www.appleinkmagazine.com/?cat=6

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan, I found "system configurations" and deleted all the files that were in there. Question one: Do I need airport to operate my Scype? and my e-readerf? What about Timbuktu? I get all these windows urging me to renew, etc. What DO I need to have all that stuff functioning? The pesky window disappeared. Where those items that were in there necessary? Thank you so much. Jeanette
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but do not worry, these files will be recreated.
Leave that window open and watch, you are online now so at least one has come back already.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan, I do accept your answer and I would like your personal contact address so that I seek your help whenever I need it. I probably need your help again to rebuild the airport etc. What about Timbuktu. Do I need that stuff or can I get rid of all the renewal window urgings? Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. Jeanette
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I cannot give you my email as that is against Just Answer policy.
TV fix That link will help with renewal windows.
You will have to tell me about Timbuktu and what it is doing.