Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Im running iMovie 09 and attempting to drag selected footage

Customer Question

I'm running iMovie '09 and attempting to drag selected footage from the event browser into the project window, but it doesn't accept it. On occasion, when clicking back to the project library, you can see evidence that the footage is there at some level (e.g. right length, sometimes thumbnails), but it will either not show in the project itself, certainly won't play, and won't export either. I've had this same problem using the same hard drive on two different machines, as well as on a third machine with its own (different) drive. PLEASE HELP.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My laptop: Running OS 10.6.5, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
The external drive on which my video footage is stored: LaCie, formatted for Mac OS Extended, 1 TB (662 GB used, 338 GB free).

Before I run Disk Utility on the external hard drive, I'd like to know what the risks are. At present, I can at least *view* my footage in iMovie's "event browser". Is there any risk that attempting to repair the external drive could further impair my ability to view the footage? Also, is this a shot-in-the-dark kind of answer, or have you encountered this problem before and have found that this solution works?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
This is just a preliminary check. If the Verify fails you do not have to Repair right away. If it is OK go ahead and Repair Permissions. Then Verify the external also, again you do not have to Repair if you are worried but it will tell us where the problem is. Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. It passed the verify check. "The volume [its name] appears to be ok". That's not too surprising, because as I said I've experienced this same problem on a totally independent machine, which leads me to think it's a bug in the software, rather than the hardware. I do not have a backup, because there's not room on our server for all of this video footage.

Your next recommendation was to verify permissions and then repair permissions if necessary, but those options are grayed out. Is that because it's just an external?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes I meant to do it on your system drive first, Permission can only be repaired on the System drive
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure if you got my last reply- the website returned an error. I ran verify disk on my system drive, and it was found to be corrupt and in need of repair. So I've been running verify disk on the other machines in our lab and so far all of them are supposedly corrupt and in need of repair. Is this the computer equivalent of the check engine light that goes on for any reason, minor or major?

Would you predict that if I found a machine whose system drive passed the verify disk check, I would be able to run iMovie without problems using my external drive?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No if your system drive is corrupt anything can happen. You need to repair it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I will. I assume I'll need to quit everything I'm doing in order to do so? Also, do you think that whatever is corrupt on my system drive is *causing* the problems I'm experiencing with iMovie? Or is this more a general housekeeping issue, and we'll have to get back to the specific trouble with iMovie afterwards?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I corrupt hard drive can cause anything to happen it is your computers file system. We can‘t be sure if it will correct your problem but we can‘t really do anythign to solve that unitl your drive is fixed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roger that. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can interrupt the other things I'm working on to repair the disk. If it can run in the background, great. Otherwise, the soonest I'll be able to run the repair utility is this evening after 10pm. I do want to make sure you get paid if we can ultimately fix the problem; will this ticket just stay open and assigned to you indefinitely until I click either "accept" or "not satisfied"?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes you can come back but if not fixed you are just asking for trouble. Everything you do could be making things worse, it is up to you. My suggestion is to fix it now and I can‘t guarantee anything beyond that.