Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Im having trouble loading the videos from my sd card. I have

Customer Question

I'm having trouble loading the videos from my sd card. I have a canon vixia hf m30 video camera. The vidoes and photos that were on the built in memory seem to be recognized. I have both a laptop and a new Imac running os x 10.6.6. I have imovie 09 8.0.6. I've also tried putting the sd card directy into the drive on the imac...no luck. I can view the video from the sd card while in the camera as well as when I hook it up to a TV.
thanks for your help,
deanna
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Connect your camcorder to your Mac with the USB Cable. Put your camcorder to PC or Playback or Computer mode. Open iMovie and it'll recognize your camcorder and let you import the videos. Let me know if that doesn't worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when I connect everything it says the images on memory card don't meet download conditions.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You can download the images with iPhoto and download the Movies with iMovie. Does iMovie recognize your camcorder to import the videos ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was able to download images and videos to both but only those stored on the built in memory. nothing from the sd card has been recognized by either Iphoto or Imovie. I'm actually not sure if there are any photos on the card, however there are lots of videos. is that what you where asking?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..Put the SD card to your card drive on your iMac. Then open iMovie and select File > Import. Does that worked ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I See the card on the desktop.
I went to import selected "canon" name of sd disk then movies - private-avchd-bdmv-stream and I found a greyed out list of the apparent videos. When I hit import it looks at them for a minute then i get the message no importable movies were found.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
There is a easy solution for this problem. I've been using this solution for years. I hope it'll work for you too..

Open Playlist Stream or Stream folder (from you SD Card in Finder) and search the folder for .MTS (MTS are the video files) files. If you can't find MTS file in that folder, search all other folders. If you find the .MTS files, then copy all of them into your Mac. Now convert them into a format that your Mac can read i.e convert them to Quicktime format (.mov)

You can use this free application to convert the MTS files to Quicktime .MOV format, application is MPEG StreamClip : http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Just download and install MPEG StreamClip, load the MTS files in StreamClip and click on the File menu and select Export to Quicktime. Once you converted the videos into Quicktime, you can import them into iMovie.

Let me know if that doesn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have to leave but I will try it later tonight and get back to you. thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Okay..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did all that and I got this - The Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is not installed...
I continued on but it didn't work. I get an error message saying it can't read frame size. I have to say that this seems like a crazy amount of work for a brand new computer as well as a new video recorder. Whats the main issue- the card. I saw a work around like this for someone who had a 6 yr old computer. I didn't think I would fall into that category. What else do you think I can try. I do have all the video files copied to my desktop in .mts format that seems like progress.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...If iMovie doesn't detect the videos in SD Card, you have to use that method. Download and try this converter : http://download.imtoo.com/hd-video-converter6-for-mac.dmg

Just try the trial version and let me know if that doesn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i've got that to work. I don't recall the download asking for a trial version. is there anything else I should know. Could I do anything in the future to avoid this multi step process. Is Hd the factor or the type of disk. does 2011 imovie version make a difference?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You have to buy that application to get the full features of it. There is no way to get the videos from SD card unless iMovie recognize your SD card. Not sure about iMovie 11, but its worth to upgrade to it. Also, read this article and try the Manual Importing : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1096

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for sticking with me on this.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
No Problem...