Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

brand new imac i3 not seeing my sony dsr 11 video deck through

Customer Question

brand new imac i3 not seeing my sony dsr 11 video deck through firewire- either directlly input or daisy chained through an external HD. The firewire port and cable sees the external HD fine. But when I daisy chain the DSR and turn it on the HD is dismounted from the mac. Had a cable which I thought was the problem. Took imac and DSR back to Apple Store. Worked fine there. Now, nothing. I have some digitising I have to do today - need help ASAP
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Has this setup been successful before?
Some obvious questions here.
The camera is set to play back?
What application are you using to capture the video?
There was no problem with capturing at the Apple store? What is different between your place and there? Same cables, same iMac, same camera and same app?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for taking my question and getting back to me Daniel but since posting the question I have identified the problem. The firewire chip on the 4 pin device has blown because of a power surge from the 9 pin - apparently this can happen on dsr machines - the Z1 camera is also prone to it. It seems it's a bad idea to plug the 9 pin end in after you've plugged the 4 pin - only ever gone 4 pin to 4 pin before. Who knew?

All the best.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
That is a new one on me, glad you figured it out. I will keep that in mind should someone else ask.
I have a new iMac i3 also and a Sony DVR (old one) that uses firewire but I usually use my MBP and record direct and not as yet connected it to my iMac. You may have saved me here.
Thank you.
If you wish a refund then this is where you get that.