loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I have already asked about this problem with you people and

Customer Question

I have already asked about this problem with you people and had a most unsatisfactory answer. On the Safari page at its top right hand corner there are three colored dots--a red, an orange and a green. Beneath these dots is a double arrow--so that one can go back to a previous page or forward to a another page. My problem is that my double arrow has disappeared. First a plus sign appeared where the arrow was. I tried everything to get rid of the plus sign but had no success. Finally the plus sign disappeared too. Now there as nothing where the double arrow was. I can function without the double arrow, but it is most inconvenient. Keep in mind that I am over 80 years old and relatively new to computers and absolutely new to the Mac Book. I am not stupid as the man I corresponded with earlier seemed to think. I am a retired anthropologist. Please help me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 5 years ago.
Hi there! Let's try some things here and let me know results when convenient for you please. First, toward the bottom of your keyboard, find the command button (looks like a puppy foot and is next to the spacebar). Directly next to the command button is the option button. Press and hold the command and option buttons as you click on the pill-shaped button at top right of the Safari browser. If done properly, you should see a new set of icons appear in front of the Safari browser. This area allows you to drag which buttons you want to the area where the current set of buttons are - to further customize the look and feel and allow you to personalize how Safari looks. Simply drag the left/right arrows from their current position to the area within Safari you'd like them to be and this should solve the issue for you hopefully. If not, let me know and we'll continue to try other things until you're satisfied.

**** IMPORTANT ****
I do NOT want you to click Accept if we haven't found a viable solution to your problem. I don't want to get paid for my work unless you're 100% satisfied. Also, please note that if you decide to click Accept and you have a followup question, feel free to use the same link you were given to that particular question and I'll be glad to assist you. If the question isn't relevant to the original question, please use the bit.ly link in my signature to open a new question with me. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I received your letter. I would have answered you before now but we had a terrible electrical storm last night and I unplugged all my equipment. This morning when I turned it on there was no internet. and wasn't any until less than an hour ago. I did what you recommended in your letter. I mashed down the option and the command keys while I clicked the elongated, capsule shaped button at the top, right hand corner of the screen. I didn't notice any new things coming up on the screen, but the capsule shaped button elongate to double it's width. Also I don't see any double arrow button anywhere on the screen. How am I going to drag a double arrow button if there doesn't seem to be one to drag?

Pierre Lee [email protected]
Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your reply. You were smart to unplug your equipment during the storm. I've taught my Mom to do the same with her Mac Mini and I feel confident it has saved her from a friend computer.

Open Safari for me please. Then, at the top, click View, then select Customize Toolbar. This should open a new window that says "Drag your favorite items into the toolbar...". Click and drag the Back/Forward navigation buttons from their origin into the top left corner of Safari where they probably were before. This should bring your back/forward buttons back. Please let me know if this doesn't or if you need further assistance.

Regards,

**** IMPORTANT ****
I do NOT want you to click Accept if we haven't found a viable solution to your problem. I don't want to get paid for my work unless you're 100% satisfied. Also, please note that if you decide to click Accept and you have a followup question, feel free to use the same link you were given to that particular question and I'll be glad to assist you. If the question isn't relevant to the original question, please use the bit.ly link in my signature to open a new question with me.