Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I Have a Maxtor OneTouch4 connected to my new iMac. I thought

Customer Question

I Have a Maxtor OneTouch4 connected to my new iMac. I thought the backup was done by the Maxtor software, but it seems to be taken over by Apple's Time Machine. Now, I get a message saying the backup has failed because there is not enough space. I have, incidentally, just loaded VM Fusion which I understand hogs a lot of space. How can I fix the problem of the backup failing?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I would erase the hard drive and start fresh using Time Machine. Need intructions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All I need to do is create more space on the hard drive. There is no way I am going to erase the hard drive and HOPE it creates more space! I can't even see why erasing the internal hard disk would create more space on the external Maxtor drive.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
No I meant erase the backup drive sorry.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. I've trieed to erase the Maxtor OneTouch 250GB disk but there is no obvious way to do it. I've Trashed the files on it but they seem to still be there. Maxtor Support FAQ's suggest I power the unit down and, when asked for a Password, to ignore it. Not only is there no request for a Password, but I think this model does not support a Password. How do I erase the Maxtor external drive? Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Go the Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, click on your Maxtor drive on the left and click on Erase and choose the Option to Zero Out all Data. It may take a while but this ensures any bad blocks are mapped out and also your data is completely erased. Then setup as Time Machine backup.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All good now. I'm just using Time Machine, not the Maxtor software. Thanks for your help, spot on.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Great!