Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I just turned on my I Mac and I can hear a fan operating and

I just turned on my I Mac and I can hear a fan operating and it is pumping air out the back. I have never heard this before. What could be causing this and what should I do.
Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
That is not abnormal normally, sometimes the SMC (System Management Controller) can get corrupted, this is most likely the case here.
Resetting is easy but I need to know which iMac you have, different models do it differently.
Under the Apple select 'About this Mac' and tell me what you see.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Version 10.6.4
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB 1067MHz RAM
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
To reset the SMC follow these instructions
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then when finished you also need to repair permissions, this PDF explains this, Repairing Permissions.
Then update your machine using Software update under the Apple menu.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your help. When I click Accept Answer is this just a one time charge for $38?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It is a one time charge unless you click on accept more than once. If you signed up for a subscription, then it is a one time charge for more than one question. Each will want an accept when answered.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.