Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

Apple mobile device USB driver not showing up in device manager.

Customer Question

Apple mobile device USB driver not showing up in device manager. I have removed and re-installed itunes but still no luck. Help

My computer is PC windows XP not mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 5 years ago.

Ipod Specialist :

Hi

Ipod Specialist :

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve the issue.

Ipod Specialist :

Which ipod is it? Is it a classic, nano, shuffle or a touch? I would suggest connecting the ipod to different usb ports. If it still does not show up, then we may have to uninstall and reinstall itunes. I understand that you have removed and reinstalled itunes, but I am not sure whether you have removed all the components of itunes. Let's go to the control panel and uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support and apple application support. I hope you are using a windows xp, so following this article http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1925 will help in a complete uninstall of itunes. Then restart the computer and install itunes from www.apple.com/itunes/download. Let's see what happens.

Customer :

Ipod nano. I did uninstall all the components prior. The apple instructions were very clear about which components and the order that they be uninstalled. What next?

Customer :

Also, the usb port is fine. I can plug anything else in there and it works. The Ipod is not working on any port.

Customer :

The apple site indicated there might be a security setting causing the problem. Is that possible? Also, I have the "clean my pc" sofware. I don't know if this be what disabled it.

Customer :

Sorry, I was editing my last posting and accidently posted it.

Customer :

The Ipod divice is working fine but it doesn't show up on Itunes or in my device manager.

Customer :

I figured out the problem. The Ipod itself had to be reset. It's working now. Sorry to bother you.

Ipod Specialist :

Sorry for the late reply as I was travelling the whole day. Great to know that the issue is fixed anyway...:) If in case you have any issues, do let me know.