Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I cannot get any sound for incoming text messages on my iphone

I cannot get any sound for incoming text messages on my iphone 4. The manual states "Set whether an alert sounds when you get a text message or preview: In Settings, choose Sounds, then tap New Text Message". There is NO 'New Text Message' option under Sounds. Help
It should say Text Tone not New Text Message.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does indeed say 'Text Tone' and I can get into the options of original ones or new ones. I can tick any of these and get a sample of the tone. What I can't get is any sound when a text message comes in!!
Go to Settings/Notifications is it turned on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes - Settings/Notifications turned on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What other info would be of use? I assume that 'settings/notifications' should be turned on, which it is.

I have another mobile which I keep using to test incoming messages to the iphone - no sound accompanies text. What else can I say?
Well if the volume is turned up I would say do a Restore in iTunes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The volume is turned up. This is the first iphone I've had. I had been reluctant to do a restore in fear of losing all my contacts, music email settings and all the other stuff I had put on. Will I lose everything or can it be restored?
No when you Restore it backs up first and at the end asks if you want to setup as new phone or restore from backup of course do not choose new phone, choose restore from backup
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I shall respond again when I have tried Restore. Too late over here in the UK to try now!
OK, let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help. The end result is that Apple are replacing my iphone! Hope that gets me to where I want to be and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sorry for the delay and I hope that Apple now get it sorted!
OK thanks and good luck.