John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I need help with making a chart. It is a simple line chart.

Customer Question

I need help with making a chart.

It is a simple line chart. ON the horizontal axis I just need to have years in place of where it has numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...I need 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. I have tried everything with no luck.

I am happy to pay someone for their help. I am sure it is an easy fix that I am missing.

Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

I will be happy to set up the chart for you and show you how it works. Would you like to send me your file or shall I send you a sample file

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can send you the file.

Where should I email it to you?
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the download link and File ID. Copy the download link or the File ID and come back here and paste it in your reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I did that, name of file is Straw Chart.

All I need is the dates/years to replace the numbers and I also would like to get rid of the numbers below the 1, 2, 3, ,4 and 5 and know how you did it please!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Where is the download link, or file ID?

Perhaps I should create a sample file, what do say?

Edited by John D on 1/18/2011 at 11:55 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure, we can try that. I did download the file. Or if you just have an email address I can send you the chart directly.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Here is a sample of what you should send me

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/969156/Straw Chart.xlsx
File number is XXXXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, here you go

http://wikisend.com/download/944682/Straw%20Chart1.xlsx

Please check it and let me know if it needs any adjustments before sending you the instructions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is great, thanks!!! Yes, please explain and I am happy to pay you!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, one moment please...

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok here are the instructions

- Select the data in A1:B5

- Click Insert from the Ribbon then click the Line button, then choose the first Line icon

- Right click on one of the bars on the graph and choose Select Data

- Select Series1 from the window on the left, then click the Remove button on top

- Select Series2 from the window on the right, then under the Horizontal Categories (on the right) click the Edit button

- In the Axis label range field select or type =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5

- Click OK, and again OK

Hope this is ok Please feel free to reply if you need further clarification or click Accept if this answers your question fully.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You lost me.

I'm on a Mac, no right or left clicking.

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok hold on I will prepare the instructions for that. In the meantime thank you for clicking the accept button if you the graph is ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, when I get the mac instructions for sure.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, select the data A1:B5

Click Insert > Chart

Select Line, then select the first line icon.

Let me know when done

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. done with that.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, now click the Next button, then click the Series tab on top. You will see two series listed. Remove Series2

Let me know when done

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, there is no Next button, I know what you are talking about from when I used to do this in PC but no next showing up here.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

hmm.. Here is a screenshot for the Mac version

graphic

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, it is not working, I do not get this screen. I'm goign to accept answer. Thanks for the help. I may need more shortly for another graph.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

Let's try this

If you see the Finish button you can click at this point, and then we will modify the chart

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

In other words when you have the chart drawn with 1, 2, 3 in the x-axis let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, thanks. I never use charts in excel, or once every 2 years and I need this done by tomorrow. I will likely need your help for others ... please stay tuned. Happy to pay you again. Not that important that I learn. More important just to have it done.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I send you another now? Can you send me the link to send you.

I need a second line added to the graph / make a new graph with second line
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Will be happy to help you again

But just in case you want to know how it is done (I assume at this point that you have Excel 2008)

Just plot the chart the you way you did first (when you had 1, 2, 3 in x-axis) then click on the line graph to select it. Then Press CTRL Click and choose Select Data. From this point you can continue with my first instructions, i.e

- Click OK, and again OK

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I can send you another file with the second graph with same issue I'll be thrilled. THis is a one time thing every two years. Even if I do learn it I'll likely forget.

I have whatever version is the newest, we just got new Macs a few weeks ago so whatever is most current is what we have.
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Sure. Here are the step by step instructions for uploading files

https://sites.google.com/site/zworkbook/upldws

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/476574/Straw Chart2.xlsx

and file is 476574

thanks for your help, I just need the years fixed again in the second graph
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, do you need both lines on the same graph or each on a separate graph

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, not clear.

Both lines on the same graph.

First Graph one line alone now second graph with both lines.

Thanks!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok. here you go

http://wikisend.com/download/414972/Straw%20Chart3.xlsx

Let me know if it needs any tweaking

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!!!!
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome. Glad to help