Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

my iMac will not boot up past the white screen with the grey

my iMac will not boot up past the white screen with the grey apple logo. can someone please help? thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...I just did that and the disc started spinning like it was loading for about 30 seconds and then stopped.Now I just see the white screen, the apple logo, and the little spinning wheel like it was before. How long should I wait to see the install screen?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It may take longer to boot from the disk but if it takes over 10 minutes restart and try again, hold the C key down longer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Update: after a few times of doing it, the disc finally began to load and is going through the repairing permissions process. It is almost complete, so what do I do after repairing permissions?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If Verify Disk was OK also quit and reboot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...It said everything was ok and that the repairing permissions process was complete. So, I quit the Mac installer OS X and clicked the restate button. It takes me back to the white screen with the apple and spinning disc and is still taking longer than usual for the login screen to appear.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
But it does appear now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope. It's still on the white screen just as it was before. I'm not sure how long I should wait, but it's been about 5 minutes or so..and it's not making any loading noises as it was before. This all started when I restarted my computer for the software updates and then accidentally turned the computer off while the blue screen was on and before the updates got a chance to begin installing...I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem and I have never had any problems with it before. Hope this info helps...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
In that case I would reinstall your system:

Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install choosing the option to Archive and Install if you don't have that option just install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once I turned the computer off and turned it back on while holding C the disc started making noises like it's having problems spinning or something and will not go to the install screen like it did before...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry... The install screen just popped up...Im following your instructions now
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...during the repairing permissions process this warning popped up "SUID file System/Library/Core....has been modified and will not be repaired. Now it says permission repair is complete. Should I still proceed to quit the disc utility and intall and archive even though this warning popped up?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...I didn't see the option to archive and install so I just installed. It says it will take about 40 minutes to install Mac OS X on my disk. So, I will let you know if it works!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
K
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!! Everything worked like you said and I am now downloading the software updates. I'm in graduate school and almost freaked when my computer that I just bought about a year ago suddenly started acting up. Thank you so much for your patience! Your help is greatly appreciated! I can't give much of a bonus because I'm a broke graduate student but I would at least like to increase it from 18 to 25 bucks. Do you know how I can do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes at the end you can add a bonus, much appreciated!