Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

Suddenly I cant open Microsoft Word. The message I get reads

Suddenly I can't open Microsoft Word. The message I get reads "The application Microsoft Word can't be opened. -1712"

I have Microsoft Office 2004. Other Office applications are okay.
Last week, I downloaded an update to allow me to open files with the "docX" suffix. I successfully opened such a file last week. But now I can't. I can open no Word files.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer yet. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference. Also, it will require a USB keyboard, not a wireless keyboard.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup as well as clear out any cache here as well.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) You should have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Click the "First Aid" tab at the top and run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart and see if Word will open now. If it does not, let me know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

If I helped, please click ACCEPT. Otherwise I do not get paid. If you still need assistance or have further questions, I'll be glad to keep working until this issue is resolved.
FEEDBACK & Bonuses are always appreciated!
PLEASE, BEFORE leaving Negative Feedback,
allow me the chance to respond here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Travis. I was able to take the whole Microsoft Office program from my MacBook Pro on a thumb drive and load it into my iMac. Problem solved.
I guess I asked my question too soon, and now I'm out the $48. Is that correct?

Terry
No. If you were able to solve the problem on your own, you can choose not to click the "Accept" button. The money you deposited will revert back to your account.

However, simply moving the program from your MacBook Pro to iMac doesn't solve the problem for the MacBook Pro. I'd still suggest (regardless of whether or not the issue is solved) running the maintenance above. It's a good idea and may clean up any other issues the mac may be experiencing. Think of it as spring cleaning for your computer.

Thanks for letting me help and I'm glad you at least have things back in working order.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Travis, thanks so much.

TErry
No problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No negative feedback. As I reported, I found my own solution to the problem. (I seem to have asked my question too soon.)