Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

my la cie D2 icon is not showing up on the desktop, though

Customer Question

my la cie D2 icon is not showing up on the desktop, though when I check in about this mac - it is showing as LaCieXXXXXLUN 0:

Manufacturer: LaCie Group SA
Model: 0x0
GUID: 0xD04B0101002293
Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
LaCieXXXXXLUN 0 Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10483
Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
Firmware Revision: 0x38
Sub-units:
LaCieXXXXXLUN 0 SBP-LUN:
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Open Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities and see if it is listed. If it is then highlight it and choose repair disk.
It is formatted correctly for Mac.
I also suggest, if it is not seen, a restart of your Mac, this can clear misreads like this.
Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it doesn't show up in disk utility, only in about this mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Try this.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tried that -- it doesn't seem to have made any difference
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
You Mac sees the interface but not the directory of the drive, the simple stuff didn't work so now the big guns are needed.
I recommend and use Disk Warrior, DiskWarrior 4, it will most often find and see drives that Disk Utility can't, it will also repair them so it works again. It is about $100. but well worth it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hmmm

I'm not sure that this is a good answer for me - it's another shot in the dark with no guarantee of a result
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Right now now you have nothing, if it will mount on another Mac (doubtful) then this is your best shot. Like I said, I use it myself for this very problem, I have many drives and it is not if a drive will fail or become corrupted but when.
If you want the data then you will have to use a more powerful utility than Disk Utility, Disk Warrior is much more powerful and because it is in the system profiler then it has not yet failed but is unreadable in its present state.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
as I say this is not helpful because the outcome is not guaranteed - all the information initially given I found on the web, and then the PRAM reset didn't help - so sorry I do not accept answer.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, good luck.