Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

re 7407988-303

re 7407988-303
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
I can not help without you supplying some information, like what the problem is, what system you are using and the version of operating system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dan,

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2
Serial Number (system): W863426YVUX
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB986261

Safari is 5.0.3 (5533.19.4)

I have always been able to put my Mac asleep and hit a click to wake. Now, suddenly, sleep means shut down and I have to reboot which I can do but this is annoying. I have looked at Preferences but cannot find an appropriate place to change this. Your help will be appreciated!

Dave

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
All you need is a little system maintenance.
This is how to reset the SMC (system management controller), this should take care of the sleep wake problem.
This does not reset the pram, I recommend doing that first before the SMC.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

If the above does not fix it then use the instructions below.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Let me know please.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.