iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I have an Imac running Snow Leopard. Also a FreeAgent Desktop,

I have an Imac running Snow Leopard. Also a FreeAgent Desktop, formatted NTFS. It was functioning as read/write, but is now read only. can I restore read/write capability without reformatting the drive & losing everything that is currently on it?

iteachmac :

hi

iteachmac :

it sould like your mac ntfs driver are not working.

iteachmac :

mac osx can only read ntfs normally

iteachmac :

drivers are required to write to ntfs as well as format a hdd to ntfs

iteachmac :

1 Get NTFS tools here for OSX :-
http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

2 Install and reboot , you will see an extra control panel in the System preferences for NTFS Preferences on the Mac. "See the control panel in the :- Apple menu / System preferences , NTFS control panel pane " .

3 . Launch Disk utilities on the Mac , use Spotlight search to find the application and launch with a left click on the name found in the search results.

4 Once NTFS tools are installed on your Mac you can format NTFS in the Disk utilities application on the Mac , Found in Applications / Utilities .

iteachmac :

you maybe using other ntfs drivers already ? make sure they are installed or running ok ,

iteachmac :

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ also see paragon ntfs drivers for mac osx , there are very good .

iteachmac :

Does this help.

iteachmac :

You can check your disk is working correctly by using the hdd with any windows pc running xp or above . copy and file to and from the hdd using windows .

iteachmac :

does this help?

iteachmac :

please use firefox on this site .

iteachmac :

Thanks.