Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

1) For five days Ive not been able to attach document files

Customer Question

1) For five days I've not been able to attach document files to e-mail. The error message is "Ouch...There's a problem." I have sent multiple debug messages and have heard nothing. I can attach photo files.

I am using a Mac-0S-10. I did find one document I could attach but not one I wanted currently.

For the last month or so there have been many glitches and crashes with Firefox.
I've downloaded recent Firefox updates. What's happening?

2) I'm frozen out of my Firefox e-mail and am currently using Safari where I guess I'm signed in for a while longer on this computer. A few days ago I changed my password XXXXX make it more rebust. The problem arose after that. More than 20 times I've tried to enter my current & past pass words & nothing works. Also I correctly answer my personal question and it won't accept that--nor will it give me my second question to try.
Each time I try multiple times I'm locked out for 12 hours. I appreciate the security
but I'm confounded as to how to reactivate my Yahoo e-mail.

I'd very much appreciate your help! Karen
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Originally you stated, you were having an issue attaching files..

Then you went on to say, you are having issues getting into your yahoo account.

Currently, does your password XXXXX work and allow you into your yahoo account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have two separate problems.

I'm afraid to log out of Safari which is currently allowing me 2 weeks of access--I don't know when the 2 weeks is up but I've not had to sign into Safari for some time. I'm afraid of
losing complete access to the Internet by trying to log in on Safari.

Are my "favorites", "contacts" and e-mail folders held in my computer or by Yahoo!?

K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
They are held by yahoo. Unless you paid to upgrade to yahoo plus, or.. You have yahoo through sbc global, or At&T..

You can still access yahoo through safari though.. Correct?

if so. We Should be able to go inside yahoo itself, from safari.. And change your password XXXXX it runs out ..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do still have access through Safari.

Have you reviewed what they ask? I imagine it is the same Yahoo template I went through. How exactly can I change my password XXXXX Safari if it won't accept anything I type in? See if I lose access to my account I'll lose all the folders, etc I listed below plus all "sent" e-mails, etc. From my perspective (and I'm certainly not well versed in computers) it appears to be a dangerous move.

Is there no way to communicate with Yahoo! about this?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
You do still have access through safari.. Excellent..

Then what we need to do.. Is immediately check and change your password XXXXX inside the account..

Not from outside.

The fact is, your going to lose access in less then two weeks. We have to fix it now, before that happens.

SO.. log into yahoo, then

lets update your security questions, that way we can rest the password.. To do so.

1. Sign into your Yahoo! account.
  2. Click on your name at the top of the page and select Account Info from the pull-down list. You will be required to verify your current password.
  3. Under Sign-In and Security, click Update password XXXXX reset info.
  4. You can choose one of the security questions we have made available or your can choose your own.
  5. Be sure to click Save after you have provided your new information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sort of accept the answer but still have questions. How to get restablished on Firefox where my bookmarks, etc. are filed? Firefox is not accepting my passwords, etc. Will reestablishing
a new password XXXXX Safari transfer to Firefox?

Yes, you are right time is of the essence. I understand what you are saying and hope that it will.

Would it be ok if I reset the Safrai password XXXXX questions after copying a number of important e-mails I've got filed on Yahoo in case they are lost in the process? That will take me considerable time. Can I stay connected to your service or pick up the service again after the transfer?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
If you re establish a new password XXXXX Safari..

It will then work with firefox..

You can stay connected to our service, or come back when you need to..

To get back to me

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

On the top right, click login. use the same email address you used to ask this question.

Once logged in.

On the top right click on my questions. And you will see our question listed there.

Simply click our question, and send me a response!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to be so timid but if both Safari & Firefox share my same CURRENT password XXXXX will
exiting Safari & then having to enter my current password XXXXX them to get in be any different
from when I tried many, many times of Firefox & have been locked out? Is there no way around this?

I'll go on transferring some of my essential e-mail files before trying to log into Safari again.

I appreciate your help. K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Its not just exiting and putting in the new password..

I was wanting you to try and change your security questions..

that way we know the answer.. and can reset the password XXXXX will, from firefoc or safari and you do not lose access..

Once that is done.. I am confident we can get it working on both
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I want to change my security questions. But:

I clicked on my name, as I've done before with Yahoo. To get to "My Questions" I have to first verify my password XXXXX Yahoo on Safari--this is the same system which has locked me out of resetting my password. They exit me if I try too many unspecified times.

If they don't know who I am how can I get in to change my security profile???

They system appears to be locked against any way for me to get in. K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok..

Question..

When you try to change your password XXXXX mozilla, have you tried the, i fogot my password XXXXX?

Will it accept your security questions at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you D.,

For days I've been trying the "I forgot my password" link. It will offer me only one of my security questions which is simple & I know the answer to. It rejects all forms of my answer. I can't ask to be prompted for the second one.

I've not tried on Mozilla(or is that the same as Firefox? but have, once again just tried on Firefox.

I was just trying an alternative unused e-mail address I have & went through all the steps. I answered 15 of the scrambled letter/number patterns and it took that many for it to accept one--I did NOT make that many mistakes--I always get it right on the first try. Do you think Yahoo is not reading my computer? In any case I don't have the password XXXXX the long forgotten alternative e-mail address either.

I'm so concerned that if I get locked out I will lose touch with everyone on my list.
I guess I'd have to set up a new account.

Has anyone else had problems with Yahoo or Firefox lately? Is there no way to communicate with them directly?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Yes.. Others have had issues with Yahoo..

I think, Your firefox is corrupted, if it took that many tries to type in the security letters, you couldnt have made that many mistakes..

We need to do the following.. Open firefox, click tools, click clear recent history. choose everything.

And then, let it do its thing.

Then.. i want you to uninstall firefox.. And then.. Download and install it again..

then.. try again to change your password XXXXX firefox.. does it let you enter the security information first time go now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think you are on to something. That feels right.

Do I remove Firefox from the HD? I don't have experience with this.
I've got these files. Do I remove all of them? There may be more lurking. If they are in the trash they are of no consequence, correct? I imagine that will destroy my e-mail accounts until I try to log in again. Is that right? Thank you for staying on top of this.

Firefox
Firefox
Firefox 3-1.6.3.dmg
Firefox 3.0.4.dmg
Firefox 3.5.5.dmg
Firefox 3.5.7.dmg
Firefox 3.5.7.dmg
Firefox 3.6.3 11-00-31.dmg
Firefox 3.6.3.dmg
Firefox 3.6.3 13-51-57.dmg
Firefox 3.6.dmg
Firefox alias
Firefox alias
firefox-bin.crash.log
org.mozilla.firefox.plist
yahoo_firefox_3-1.6.8_setup_us.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3-2.6.8_setup_us.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3-3.6.8_setup_us.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3-4.6.8_setup_us.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3.6.8_setup_us 19-22-19.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3.6.8_setup_us.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3.6.8_setup_usk.dmg
yahoo_firefox_3.6.10_setup_us.dmg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Safari just crashed so I'm not sure if you received the message above. K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok..

Heres what we need to do to remove firefox.. And no, it wont delete the email account.> It will remain on yahoo.
  1. Drag the Firefox application to the Trash.
  2. Firefox also has a .plist file at ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist
You need to delete firefox plist as well

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've got one firefox icon on my desktop & when I try to drag it to the trash I get the message"The disk Firefox is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try again."

I don't see anything else related to the Internet except this window & the one on Safari I've been holding open. What other applications might they be talking about?

Also where do I look for the .pilst file? In the HD under applications?

Thank you. K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any version of firefox open at all?

If so, close it.. And then try to drag and drop it again..

If that doesnt work.. Try to restart the mac, and then, drag and drop firefox again.

To get back to me after you restart

To get back to me..

Come back to Justanswer.com

Once logged in.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the answer and your patience. And especially for the directions as to how to link into you again. I'll give it a try.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome..

DOnt worry.. This issue is solvable.. And we will solve it..

If you run out of time today.. You can always come back when you have time..

Not saying Im done today, just letting you know you dont have to work this straight through..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi D,

Didn't see a log in place on your website so came back on this page.

I restarted the computer as you suggested and again tried to drag & drop the desktop icon of Firefox in the trash. It wouldn't work & said there is still an open Firefox page. What next?

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm.. thats strange.. After restarting, it shouldnt show it as being open

check the application menu, if you see firefox, select it and select quit firefox

then try to drag and drop it again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's still a Firefox icon on the desktop & Firefox applications in the HD. When Udrag any of these to the trash they don't disappear. It makes the trash sound but the icon continues to appear in the HD under Applications & on the desktop. Under both Finder and Safari the "move to trash" buttons are grayed out. the "How else can I get rid of them as quickly as possible?
Had to take a lunch break.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
My apologies, but im out of time for the moment.. I can be on later tonight, Or if thats not good for you , tommorow, day or night..

Can We catch back up then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand. You've put in a long day and so have I. Because time is an issuecould I be transferred for now to another expert today until you return? Before I contacted your company I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon (PST) at Apple but would prefer to not have to take my desk top computer in & work with you if this can be solved soon.

K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I can opt out.. which will notify the other experts that your question still needs to be answered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You don't need to opt out it's just a matter of time. K.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I apologize;

I have to opt out;

that is the only way you can have another expert help you.

I will check back later to night incase it hasn't been resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
D.Sandlin had to opt out as I guess his shift ended.
I do still need help after an entire day of trying things. I understand you can send my inquiry to other experts.

I know little about the technology but do now think it
is a corrupted file from Firefox--now it's a matter of how to correct it. If there is someone on duty who could think this through I'd greatly appreciate it.