Joseph
Joseph, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 2 years of experience in computer industry including MAC
27113160

trying to transfer itunes library from pc (windows xp) to macbook

Customer Question

trying to transfer itunes library from pc (windows xp) to macbook pro os x 10.6.5. Copied itunes from pc onto external hard drive. When i try to copy it to my mac, it starts but then stops at certain songs and gives me an error code 36 and refuses to go any further! Please help, I'm going crazy!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Joseph :

Hello

Joseph :

We will try to help you.

Customer :

thank you!

Joseph :

Are you transferring the music using an external hard drive ?

Customer :

Yes i am

Joseph :

Are you connecting it as Firewire or USB ?

Customer :

usb

Joseph :

Is it possible to transfer the files in Firewire as the connection type ?

Customer :

I don't have firewire

Joseph :

oh okay

Joseph :

Let me check

Joseph :

Along with the error is it showing the sang name which caused the issue ?

Joseph :

If yes, remove that song and try to transfer again.

Joseph :

Try using Disk Utility (under the Utilities folder) and under the First Aid's tab press the Repair Disk button.

Joseph :

if none of these worked, try formatting the drive and copy music from PC to Drive and drive to MAc

Customer :

Will try the disk utility...

Joseph :

okay

Joseph :

If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask. If satisfied click ACCEPT to close the session.

Customer :

Ok, the disk utility does not repair the drive. It keeps getting hung up on songs. Once I find the song and delete it, it chugs along for another few songs then stops again. Once I remove the offending song, it will go up to another point and stop again. Very random. It will get hung up on one song of an album but the others go through. I have over 7000 songs and at this rate I will be here forever!

Joseph :

If you still have the songs in the PC, Format the External drive and back up the songs again

Joseph :

Try to transfer again.

Customer :

Ok, that took over 5 hours the first time (to copy my itunes library to the Hard drive). I will try this, but it will have to run overnight for me to try this option. Do you have any other ideas before I begin?

Joseph :

Nop

Joseph :

Thats the only thing left to try from my side. :)

Customer :

ok, will do!

Joseph :

Let me know whappens.

Joseph :

Also you can try copying the music files to your system and using the import option in the iTunes.

Customer :

Sorry Joseph, nothing has worked. I am on my way to the MAC store hoping they will be able to help. I have not been able to sync my phone and it's driving me crazy! Thanks for trying...