iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

Happy New Year! Im running Mac OS X 10.4.11. Just this

Customer Question

Happy New Year!

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.11. Just this past week, every time I start up, I immediately get a file window opening on the desktop for ABSmartGroupWithinInterval.nib. I can send you an iGrab pic. I've traced this file to the address book system. I have no idea how to get rid of it. Should I delete the Address Book and reinstall from my CD? Your advice is most appreciated.

Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 5 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi can you explain more ?

Customer :

I think I've told you what I know. Is there anyway I can send you an attachment with the i Grab visual?

iteachmac :

yes are you on this page using firefox?

Customer :

iteachmac :

see the tree button

iteachmac :

to insert a jpg etc .

iteachmac :

you can take a screen shot on the Mac using the Preview application , See the File menu .

iteachmac :

you can save as JPG also if needed .

Customer :

Full Size Image

iteachmac :

hi I see .

iteachmac :

Ok does the folder open even after you reboot and close it etc .

Customer :

iteachmac :

Lets run though some checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.Review this video to become familiar with the below procedure ..

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Also please run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly
Found in the Maintenance , Scripts tab.

Please after a reboot , also reset , the launch services .
Found in Maintenance rebuild tab.

Tick Launch services.. only then and execute , after reset done please reboot and test issue.

If this fails , please go on to reset the dyld's cache .
Found in maintenance rebuild tab .

Tick dyld's cache , only , and execute , then reboot and test issue .

iteachmac :

Also review the Maintenance tab Display of folders content option in Onyx , select the folder that is having issues and execute .

iteachmac :

Please download the correct version for your Mac OSX version OSX 10.4 tiger . .

iteachmac :

iteachmac :

let me know if this helps .