Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

We have a 5 year old Mac desktop that has recently been giving

Customer Question

We have a 5 year old Mac desktop that has recently been giving us a whole lot of trouble. Most recently - and most upsetting - is the fact that we have "lost" photos from the past 2 months that we downloaded on the computer. Our baby girl was born in November, so all her first photos are now gone. We have searched everywhere on the harddrive but just can't seem to find them. We'd like for a Mac expert to come to our home and try to sort out the desktop and find our photos for us. How do I go about finding someone reliable in the Northern Virginia area?

Thanks for any help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Be prepared to pay for a qualified house call. I know someone in Philadelphia but that is a bit far.
There are a few options that you have here, one is this utility that I use in these cases and probably what a tech would use or something like it.
This works well providing there has been little or not writing of data to the hard drive in question. Downloading or installing or importing of any thing can over write the photos and place them out of reach.
You will also need an external hard drive to recover the files to as it cannot write to the drive it is recovering from.
The utility is about $100.00 plus the external drive if you don't have one. Small price to get them back.
A tech will run much, much more.
The other option is a data recovery service, you will find those in the yellow pages or google for them, some are better than others but all will cost a lot.
The next is the closest Apple store, they may not recover them but will know where to send you. Some Genius' do this on the side.
I have given you the best advice I can for this. One more thing though, make sure you back up all photos in the future, I learned this the hard way myself.
I now have three copies of all photos on three different drives, one off site.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help Daniel, I really appreciate it.

As much as your advice was somewhat useful, I was specifically looking for information on a Mac expert in the Northern Virginia area, and I don't feel like I got that response. I am therefore hesitant to spend my money on the answer.

I hope that is okay.

Thanks again,
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry but I live in upstate NY, I do not know any in your area. I can suggest the best way to find one.
There are three Apple stores in that area, Apple Retail Store Locator.
Ask them who they trust to do this. You do not want a fly by night, you want recovery, that is the best I can do.
If you were where I am I could do it, I cannot send you my address (against JA policy) to send me the drive, you can find that service in the yellow pages or using Google for one nearby.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daniel

Again, I really appreciate your response, but I feel like I am being pressured into accepting an answer that did not answer my question. I wanted the name of an actual Northern Virginia Mac expert that someone could recommend. I had hoped to get someone from the area to respond. I shouldn't be responsible for the fact that you live in upstate NY - you should not have answered my question then. I have asked the Apple store and they could only recommend Data Rescue as you did too, which is why I put out my question to get the name of an expert that was trusted.

I think if you look at it from my perspective you will see that I am being asked to pay $24 for something I didn't receive.

Please could you let me know how I could have this amount refunded to my credit card.

Thank you,
Michelle Konson