Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Help! Every time I bump or unplug my mac it goes off! Then

Customer Question

Help! Every time I bump or unplug my mac it goes off! Then when it turns back on the date and time get reset. Also my power adapter doesn't work all the time!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Please tell me what Mac it is.
How long have you had it?
Has it been dropped?
Did this suddenly start or has it been getting progressively worse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry,

Macbook Pro
4 months
No
No it seems fine once I get it on
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
The machine is only 4 months old? You have what sounds like a major hardware problem. If there has been no accidental damage (water, dropping, stepping on, running over, things like that) Apple covers all repairs and or exchange if called for.
If it works ok with the power adaptor plugged in then it will be the battery and or the charging circuit on the logic board.
The bumping does not make sense unless the it is getting unplugged with the bump.
A bad battery can cause the problem because there is no internal auxiliary battery to hold those settings other than the main battery.
What does the battery icon in the menu bar say? It will be the shape of a AA battery and a black interior showing the approximate charge and or a percentage.
In the Apple menu hold the Option key and click on System Profiler, where it says power see what the battery condition is.
graphic
This will tell you if the battery is good, bad, or ugly.
Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says
73
Normal
It might be the adapter
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like the battery is ok. Is there a yellow or green light on the abaptor plug when connected?
Do you wind the cord up and travel with it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No light, Yes I do wind it up. I have traveled with it before.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It could be that the cord has suffered damage at the brick or plug end. It is good practice to make a loop before the wind around the clips, takes the strain off the place the wires enter the brick.
Try wiggling the wires there and at the other end and see if you can get a light, however brief. That will tell you where the break is, you may be able to tape it into position until you can replace it.
Apple should replace it as it is not yet over the anniversary date. I do recommend the Applecare for the extended warranty, cheap insurance.
I do not know where you are but a trip to an Apple store is what I recommend.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX should be easy because I live about 10 min. away from one. I have the insurance so hopefully I can get it replaced! Thanks so much!
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Happy to have been able to help.