iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

I have a Mac OS X version 10.6.5. I tried to create a dvd using

Customer Question

I have a Mac OS X version 10.6.5. I tried to create a dvd using iDVD version 7.0.4. It requested double sided. I used a double-sided disk. I completed burning it. However, it will not play.
Any suggestions?
Could I be using the wrong disk?
Could you suggest a good brand of double-sided disks?
Please help a loyal but frustrated Apple user.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

Have your tried playing the burn DVD on the Mac , using DVD player , if the DVD does not play on that then there must be a problem ,

iteachmac :

Try media DVDs from the brand TDK, they are one of the best quality DVD media . I tend to use their " TDK DVD + R double layer 8 Speed 8.5GB life on record . disks.

iteachmac :

If your current DVDs are DVD-R then that could be an issue with some players between DVD-R or DVD+R , it depends on the player.

iteachmac :

+ & - being the significant difference .

iteachmac :

Does this help .

iteachmac :

you may want to set your encoder settings also , as outlined in this video .Thanks.

iteachmac :

If you have an option for burn speed , always burn at no more than x4 speed to ensure a good error free burn . This goes for Audio CD also.

Customer :

My DVDs Maxell are DVD+R double layer. Up to 8X8.5 gb also RW. I have tried playing the burned DVD on my Mac. Here's what happens: Scree is black. I double click and viewer appears. I hit play in the menu. message comes up: Supported disk not available. Do I need to purchase DVD-R double layer disks. I appreciate your help, but my goal is to burn a playable disk. May I pay you after you've guided me through this project. All I have left to do with the project is burn it to disk. Everything else is finished.

iteachmac : Hi I think the issue maybe that your using rw , rewritable . Is this the case , you stated rw . Thanks.
iteachmac : :)
iteachmac : Maxell as a brand is ok btw . I would say Tdk are better regarded . See Tdk neons in blade runner.
iteachmac : Many DVD players can't playback rw DVD .. My car radio cd , can't play back rw cd audio disks.
iteachmac : Try standard Tdk DVD +R dual layer disks not Rw DVD for video DVDs.
iteachmac : Thanks.
Customer :

Here is what my system profiler says I can write to: DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Customer :

Here is my question: If I can write to +R DL and +RW, why isn't this working? Grrrr

iteachmac :

The RW data disk is less compatible with DVD players on the whole .

iteachmac :

If you use a RW disk for DVD VIDEO there is far less chance of standard DVD players playing it .

iteachmac :

On the mac , can you play it via the DVD player? open the DVD , drag the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD player icon in the dock etc .

iteachmac :

Does this not work? , if not you may have two issues there , one a burn issue , two a player issue . It is best to use no RW data disks for DVD video burning ,

iteachmac :

does this answer your question .

iteachmac :

If you have problems again with non RW dvds then please ask me for more help. Please can you test this . Non RW dvds are much cheaper than RW to buy in bulk .

Customer :

Hi Coach,

Customer :

Hi Coach, I rushed out and bought DVDs that were +R DL NOT RW. You were right. It worked. Thanks for all your patient help. I was a public school principal, and I'd hire you as my computer specialist in a New York minute. Smiles, Nancy

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing