Joseph
Joseph, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 2 years of experience in computer industry including MAC
27113160

an exclamation point suddenly appeard next to every song (

Customer Question

an exclamation point suddenly appeard next to every song ( almost ), not allowing me to play my music. says file has been relocated or deleted.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joseph replied 3 years ago.

Joseph :

Hello

Joseph :

We will try to help you.

Joseph :

In which software are you getting this issue ?

Joseph :

is it Itunes ?

Customer :

itunes.. yes

Joseph :

When iTunes displays the exclamation point beside a given track or file, it means that the library went to find that file and was unable to do so, or unable to open it once found. This can mean a few things -- it may mean that the file has corrupted in some way, thereby rendering it unplayable, or it may be that the file has moved. Have you done any moving about of your music files recently, or done any re-naming of files or file information? Any of those factors can make the library think the file is missing or may have relocated the file altogether.

?

Joseph :

Check this folder

Joseph :

c:\music\iTunes\

Joseph :

Is the file that is showing exclamation present there or not.

Customer :

no. i just sync my iphone occasionally. thats all. i'm not that computer literate to move files on computer. 95 % of my music has ! next to it. approximately 400 songs

Joseph :

Okay, try going to the folder I mentioned.

Joseph :

c:\music\iTunes\

Joseph :

Or it may C:\Users\"Your computer name"\Music

Customer :

ok i'm yhere

Joseph :

Open the iTunes folder

Customer :

open.... has ! by every song

Joseph :

Right click and Open with

Joseph :

Itunes

Customer :

dont understand

Joseph :

Right click a file with exclamation mark

Joseph :

and select the option Open with

Joseph :

You can select Itunes if that fails, Open with media player.

Customer :

i'm lost. not sure if i'm doing this correctly

Joseph :

Just Right click a music file with exclamation mark

Joseph :

you will have different options and Mouse over to "Open with"

Joseph :

You will get different players including iTunes and Windows media player

Customer :

lets start over......... what do i do first

Joseph :

Just Right click a Music file in that folder with exclamation mark.

Customer :

it doesnt allow me to open with anyother program

Joseph :

What happens when you try Media player ?

Joseph :

Windows media player

Customer :

only the few songs that don't have an ! point next to it come up. no other songs are present. app. 20 songs

Customer :

in media player

Joseph :

Are you able to see those files in that particular folder ?

Customer :

yes... app. 20 of them

Joseph :

Only 20

Joseph :

You said you have 400 songs in the library

Customer :

app. 400 in itunes library

Joseph :

Not in the folder

Joseph :

right

Joseph :

?

Customer :

yes.. only a few show up

Joseph :

Some how those songs vanished from the folder

Joseph :

and the itunes library just showing the old list

Joseph :

As the songs are not there its showing exclamation in the iTunes library

Customer :

now what ?

Joseph :

Let me check for some recovery softwares

Joseph :

try this first

Joseph :

open up iTunes. From iTunes' Menu bar, select File > Library > Import Playlist. Doing so will open a file selection window. Use the window to navigate to the iTunes Music Library .xml

Customer :

doesn't show itunes m. library.xml

Joseph :

Click the File tab in the toolbar at the top of iTunes. Select Import.

Joseph :

View the Import window that will pop up. Go through your files and locate the exported playlist files you wish to restore. if you can see any

Customer :

don't see any.. i'm confused or lost

Joseph :

Try the recovery softwares

Joseph :

Use the download Now option for the trial version

Customer :

listen........... all this is over my head when trying to recover.. the data rec. software says to put on another drive. I dont know how to do that. they say if I dont do it right ,I'll loose everything. please refund my money, you guys cant help me. i'll have to take my computer to a local shop. some body more knowlegeable than me. thank you for trying, though. XXXXX XXXXX

Joseph :

I will opt out

Joseph :

as I am running out of ideas