iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

When I try to open I phot, it just runs open and no pictures

Customer Question

When I try to open I phot, it just runs "open" and no pictures come up.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Duke! Thanks for the reply. when I go to the I Photo icon and click on it and the page comes right up .... blank....(with no photos) and about 5 seconds later the little colored wheel starts spinning and spinning and spinnnnnniiinnnnggggg. Tongue out

Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Uhmmm , Happy New year btw , :)

iPhoto loses the connection between the thumbnail in the iPhoto Window and the file it represents.

Option 1
Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialog to rebuild. Choose Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2
Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function.
http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

basically the library has a problem .

You may need to rebuild your iphoto library!
(THIS SHOULD NOT DELETE ANY PHOTOS)

Hold down the CMD & Alt while opening iPhoto and select rebuild library...

This should get you up and running again , or you may be presented with the following options :

1) rebuild the photos' small thumbnails
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails (this may take a while)
3) rebuild the iphoto library database
4) recover orphaned photos in the iphoto library folder
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions

Please carry out the options for repair / rebuild of the iphoto library in the order below:

3) rebuild the iphoto library database.

If needed.
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions.

If needed.
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails .

You should run a full repair on your Mac HD and repair permissions also for Mac HD .
You may fix issues that are related and more wide spread , a possible cause for the problem with iphoto library . .

Checks for correct running of OSX and applications on Mac OSX .

The Mac HD needs around 8 GB free to work correctly , esp with caches for imovie , iphoto etc ,and or scratch disk use with other applications ..

-

It maybe some problems have been going on for a while with your system!

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

Review this video to become familiar with the below procedure ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFv3h7MVX4A&feature=related

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

If there's still no difference with your issue , please let me know .

It maybe time to trash the iphoto preferences file , " com.apple.iPhoto.plist ".

Please Trash the plist file , " com.apple.iPhoto.plist " .
Found in the Mac HD / Users / Youruser / Library / Preferences / com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Reboot and then launch iPhoto and test .

Please provide all details of the remaining problem if any after the repairs are carried out to the Mac HD OSX installation , including what applications are affected .

Please let me know if you need any extra info regarding the above?

I will give full instructions to do so if necessary.

I hope this helps .

Edited by iteachmac on 1/2/2011 at 3:21 AM EST
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Duke....

Thanks..lots of info will work on tomorrow and get back with you.

George

Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks . :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Job...option one worked...the Geek Squad wanted $300 just backup system while they solved what was a simple problem. Also, I have $300 extended warranty and the AO wanted $200 to back up data whikle they checked to see if it was a software or hardware problem. Went there 3 times and talked to 3 managers, just about caused a riot I was so mad.

I'm not done with those jerks yet.....I'm going to take it to the highest level I can. They messed with the wrong boy. Surprised LOL

Thanks again for the help.

George Kalergis

Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Glad you got it fixed , the repair Mac HD steps are worth doing anyway when you find time to read through . .

:)

all the best .