Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

last night I was using my macbook perfectly fine and then when

Customer Question

last night I was using my macbook perfectly fine and then when I went to do something else, every website says 'server not responding." I'm not sure how to fix this problem. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
How do you know your interenet is woking? “sure it's connected to the web”.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 1/1/2011 at 8:11 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well, it shows complete strength on the icon and i went through the network setup (I'm not sure if it's called that) and it showed that everything is connected.

The exact message reads "safari can't open the page x because the server where the page is located isn't responding."

Again, it was working fine last night. i was streaming a show through netflix, someone called, the show froze and when i went back to play at about an hour later, this happened

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey mike,

Unfortunately, I now have to leave but I definitely want this resolved. Could it be a firewall? I read other people's questions and some seemed firewall related. I will check back later to see what the next step is to resolve this issue. Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If you cannot get to any website you are not connected. First reboot the router and wireless router if any. Then reboot computer. Then if still not working go to System Prefercnes/Security/Firewall and turn it off just to check. If still not working I need your network settings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure how to reboot the router. I will see what I can do. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just unplug it from the power and plug it back in
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I rebooted the computer. I took it out of the outlet. I turned off how the firewalls were set up and still no change. I keep getting the same message about the server isn't responding. When I do network diagnostics all of the lights are green showing that everything is working.

I'm going to tell you what I can see here. Right now I'm connected to a network called dlink and the ip address is: 192.168.0.113. It says the airport is connected to dlink. Is there anything else you need to know?

Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Is dlink your network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it's not. I'm at my mom's place and I'm using/stealing the signal from some nearby wireless system.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well in that case I can‘t help you. Not because you are “stealing” but you don‘t know the setup and it won‘t work on a system you don‘t have access to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Thanks for trying, anyway. I will have our computer guy look at the computer once I return to school. Perhaps the problem will rectify itself once I return home and plug the internet in as I normally do there.

Happy holidays.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It will work on a network you have control over you don‘t have control over that one. Maybe they found out you wee using it and changed something. Question answered.