iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I am basically desperate. I am an English medical student

Customer Question

I am basically desperate.

I am an English medical student and have deleted from the trash a document which I spent 2 weeks working on over winter break. I just can't believe I have done this.

Can I find it and how?

I would appreciate your help SO MUCH.

Sarah.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi, I would like to try to help .

If you did not use secure empty trash to remove the files:-
If the files where deleted normally by mistake or other means if they are of importance you maybe able to recover them with the below software tools :-

Data Rescue 3 - Mac
http://www.prosofteng.com/

It is not an exact science to undelete files .

If you want to try this method please do not use the Mac until you perform your recovery .

There is more chance you can recover your lost files if you do not use the Mac HD or partitions that the files were stored on , as new files may be wrote over the old removed files . once this happens it is unlikely that data can be recovered .

If you have any other information you may have forgotten to mention please let me know , it may help?

Tip:
Using Time machine on a Mac OSX 10.5 - 10.6 ensures this problem hopefully never happens as files can be recovered from the Time machine backup if deleted by mistake even if secure delete was used.

Macs with the Security File Vault system switched on are far less likely to be able to recover a file once deleted .

Thanks. Id like you to check the Mac HD for problems if the file was not deleted or known to be deleted??

Please let me know.

Thanks.

iteachmac :

This info should help also .

iteachmac :

Auto Save files for Microsoft word / office on Mac OSX:

Under your user's profile on the Mac HD , look in the folder "Microsoft User Data" under "Documents" e.g. on your computer it would be found in :

Mac HD/Users/Your user/Documents/Microsoft User data/file name

Any auto save documents for MS word / office would be found there.

If the files where deleted normally by mistake or other means if they are of importance you maybe still able to recover them with the mentioned software tools above , it maybe your best bet, there may also be a trial or demo you can try of DR3 . .

iteachmac :

I hope it works out , Regards.