Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am having difficulty accessing my Time Machine. I get the

Customer Question

I am having difficulty accessing my Time Machine. I get the following error message: The backup disk image "/Volumes/Data/XXXXX XXXXXam's Computer.sparsebundle" could not be accessed (error-1). I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and bought an external harddrive, so not sure if these are contributing to the problem.
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I've worked with Time Machine a lot, this happens from time to time. It's usually best to start over and make a clean backup, but this does mean you lose your previous backups. There are a few technical things we can try, such as running disk utility on the sparsebundle, which could fix it, but in my experiences happens less than %50 of the time. Let me know how you'd like to proceed and I'll be glad to continue troubleshooting with you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have recently cleaned up my computer's harddrive by deleting a lot of old files. So, I would prefer to not lose previous backups if at all possible. Let's start first by running disk utilities and then proceed to making a clean backup (and losing previous backups) as a last resort. Can you give me instructions for the first step of running disk utilities. Thanks.
Yep. Mount the sparsebundle by double clicking it. Then open Disk Utility in the utilities folder. A window will open, select the sparsebundle on the left, and then under the first aid menu, click repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I find the sparsebundle in order to double click on it? I don't know what a "sparsebundle" is so I'm driving a little blind here. I presume I go into Finder and should be able to locate it there to double-click on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I think I found the sparsebundle in Finder. It was visible once I clicked on my Time Capsule in Finder. When I double-clicked on the sparsebundle File, I received a warning message that the sparsebundle file could not be mounted.

When I go into Disk Utility, there is no option to Repair Disk (greyed out), so I clicked on Verify Disk instead and got the following message:

Verifying volume "disk1s2"
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Detected a case-sensitive volume.
Catalog file entry not found for extent
The volume could not be verified completely
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Even though it is telling me to click on Repair Disk, I am still not able to do so (still greyed out).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The lack of timely responses to my e-mails is really inconsistent with the marketing slogan of this site: "Ask a Mac Question, Get an Answer ASAP". I'm really disappointed in the service. I will figure this out another way. Please discontinue my request and provide a refund. Thank you.