Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My cat stepped on the keyboard and minimized the internet screen.

Customer Question

My cat stepped on the keyboard and minimized the internet screen. I cannot widen it to fit the entire screen. I have tried all the buttons and panes and can't find a solution.

Can you please help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Click and drag the right corner the Safari screen to increase the size of the window.
graphic
Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That didn't work. I already tried that. When I open Safari, it is centered in the screen but I cannot maximize the screen to full width. When I click and drag the corner, it moves the whole screen but keeps it the same size.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
We can try to delete Safari's Preferences. May be it'll fix the problem..

Close Safari and goto Macintosh HD/Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences folder and move the file "com.apple.safari.plist" into desktop.

(Macintosh HD is your hard disk...)

Now open Safari..Does that worked ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I find Macintosh HD/Users? Also, anything I open comes up in the small screen (like your reply in e-mail).
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk. It may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc. Users, Library etc are sub folders inside your hard disk Macintosh HD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I go into system? I don't understand. Where do I find the file?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
????????
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
There is a shortcut. Click on the blue simile face icon on the dock and it should take you to your user folder. In there, you can find the Library folder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the dock? I don't see a blue simile face icon.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
See the picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found it and moved the file. I reopened Safari but it is still the same.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Try this again : Drag the corner (bottom left) to make it fullscreen. You have to only do this once and safari will be stay in full screen everytime you open it.

Or in your URL/Addressbar copy and paste this page and press return : javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot make the screen move when I drag the left corner. It is still the same.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you tried my second suggestion ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. When I click and attempt to drag the screen on the left hand bottom corner, the screen doesn't move.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
In your URL/Addressbar of Safari copy and paste this code below (bolded) and press return key : javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Does it Maximize Safari ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It didn't work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I already replied to you..seems like it doesn't went through. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.Does that worked ?

Edited by Ashik on 1/1/2011 at 8:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. When I reboot and hold down the command and s key it runs for a bit and then gives a root# XXXXX stops.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Are you able to type the commands in there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was able to type in the command. After it checked a few things, this is what it said:

The volume Macintosh HD appears to be okay.

:/ root#
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Restart your Mac and see if it works or not...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. It's the same.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry i'm out of ideas. I will opt out and send this question to other experts. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When will I hear something?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I already sent the question. They will get back to you soon.