iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I use a Mac and am making dvds using my iDVD program. The

Customer Question

I use a Mac and am making dvd's using my iDVD program. The images that I use are jpeg, image size 500 pixals. The final dvd shows the written text to be cloudy, not sharp like the original. What is causing this?

These images are on the burned copy , dvd. My computer copy before it is burned shows a clear sharp images.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac : hi how long is the video? , did you use a non dual layer DVD? Please make settings to use the larger DVD size in the preferences. Or better quality rendering.
iteachmac : You can burn a disk image to test the DVD is playing as expected .
iteachmac : Once burned the dmg can be opened to mount the virtual DVD , open DVD player , or drag the video TS folder to DVD player in the dock.
iteachmac : Does this help.
iteachmac : If you need extra info please ask .
iteachmac : Daul layer DVD holds almost double the data of a single layer DVD , thus the DVD encoded will have better quality . As the data rate can be increased and compression reduced .
Customer :

Hi, The video is total about 30 minutes, so I used a non dual dvd. I am reworking classic children's stories and putting them on dvd- they are in a slide show format. I then send them to DiscMasters to duplicate. I don't think that they can take dual layer dvd's. Does the burn speed make any difference? I did notice that under Preferences, I had had it set on dual layer DVD- I changed it back to single layer. Do you think that these make any difference in the picture image quality?

iteachmac :

Uhmm , iDVD wont give as good results as DVD studio pro . Its a tricky one you can try using TIFF images instead of jpg also .

iteachmac :

Please check your encoding setting to "best performance" . As shown in this video . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FokciHBKKrc @ one min 30 seconds .

iteachmac :

Best Performances = (movies less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD.

iteachmac :

This should help eps if its not selected already .

iteachmac :

Does this help

iteachmac :

Thanks

Customer :

I reset my burn to Best Performance and speed at 1x. I have ordered the new book on iLife 11- could that have something to do with this. I have recently upgraded and now seem to be having more problems getting the same clear image on my DVD that I have when I view the project on my desktop.

iteachmac :

Hi if you export to a disk image is the problem still the same , see the file menu ? You can test the export with each setting best performance , professional quality , dual layer DVD setting on .. etc

iteachmac :

You can play the disk image from the Mac DVD player once mounted .

iteachmac :

The Disk image can be burnt after testing if the result is good . Do this to save DVD disk media and time .

iteachmac :

Any change ?

iteachmac :

iDVD was not updated / refreshed in ilife 11 by the way . It it due an update / make over. .

iteachmac :

If the DVD menus etc dont need to be all that elaborate , have your tried / seen Roxio Toast 10 for burning / making DVDs videos and more on the Mac , the encoding rates and settings are far more adjustable , you can alos make Blue ray DVDs on a standard DVD for playback on PS3 / Blueray etc ..

iteachmac :

Pro version .

iteachmac :

It should give better results for photo based DVD videos .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

I have seen problems with stills etc while using idvd etc with other users .

iteachmac :

Are the images your using in the wrong resolution , ? , do they look squash or stretched on the final burn or image? If not please test same on a TV , the scaling etc , may make an image look worse , so try to suit artwork for the output resolution or screen type 4:3 , 16:9 etc . .

iteachmac :

See if the saved image looks plays ok on the Mac dvd player ? Toast could save the day here however .

iteachmac :

Also : quit idvd , try going into your home/library/preferences folder and deleting the 'com.apple.imovie' and 'com.apple.idvd' preference files , then .

iteachmac :

You may need to rebuild your iphoto library!
(THIS SHOULD NOT DELETE ANY PHOTOS)

Hold down the CMD & Alt while opening iPhoto and select rebuild library...

This should get you up and running again , or you may be presented with the following options :

1) rebuild the photos' small thumbnails
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails (this may take a while)
3) rebuild the iphoto library database
4) recover orphaned photos in the iphoto library folder
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions

Please carry out the options for repair / rebuild of the iphoto library in the order below:

3) rebuild the iphoto library database.

If needed.
5) examine and repair iphoto library file permissions.

If needed.
2) rebuild all of the photos' thumbnails .

iteachmac :

This can help , if photos are from a bad library in iphoto . idvd maybe using the previews to burn from ? , It is hard to say .

iteachmac :

after the steps above , load project , check settings for quality and dual layer once more , then save as disk image and test .

iteachmac :

does this help.

iteachmac :

please save a disk image using both Professional quality and Best performance and compare the two .

iteachmac :

Please remember dvd video is much less quality than a HD export or Mac quicktime Mp4 etc .

iteachmac :

Please see link for dvd video resolutions and more info on MP2 / DVD video . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

Customer :

Here is my YouTube sample of one of my dvds. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNk2_sv1Pxc) The images do not start in iphoto. I scan the original images from the books, restore them in Photoshop and Illustrator and then store them as a tiff image for printing and jpeg for the web. I have a website, kimberlysimpson.biz, were I sell the images printed on fabric- with wonderful color, and clarity. But, when I used the jpeg images in idvd burned on a disc the images are not clear. Does Toast work with idvd?

iteachmac : hi are the DVDs for customers to see the work or backups? Etc .
iteachmac : Toast is standalone and will burn anything .
iteachmac : You have music , video stills , you can use toast to burn , data , TS folders blue ray , photo CDs , DVD video , and so on .
iteachmac : Toast only burns and makes some menus , and gives options , it's not got making or editing movies , though there is the basics for mastering , ..
iteachmac : Please see this video , shows a more complex way , otherwise just stick to built in templates , burning for DVD is simlilar to this video also , you can leave the encoding setting automatic , or just up the bit rates etc to fill the disk .
iteachmac : Did you try rebuilding the iphoto lib . In some cases it can help.
iteachmac :

hi I see your work on youtube is nice . So your problem is not the exported video just the , DVD recoding the video badly ?

iteachmac :

What JPGs are you using in idvd for the project , ? is the size reduced to a picture size that is DVD video compatible

iteachmac :

Its tricky to have text etc on screen on DVD with vivid colour , but idvd does have this issue more so .

iteachmac :

if you can export to MP2 and dont re-encode , as per the toast video I sent you , the DVD will be as is exported .

iteachmac :

Now MP2 is an option , let me find out . But it may be an upgrade for Quicktime etc , I dont think it is standard to export MP2 more info to follow ..

iteachmac :

MP2 is dvd video format btw .

iteachmac :

Here is the link for the MPEG2 video codec , http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/components.html

iteachmac :

I will check to see if export to MPEG2 is going to be an option once installed .

iteachmac :

If we can export MPEG2 with good options as you can if FINAL CUT STUDIO applications . and DVD studio pro , then you may get better results exporting MP2 video and using toast , it may be best for you to use DVD studio pro and final cut studio over the basic imovie , idvd combo .

iteachmac : If your not using iphoto to store your photos it should not be a problem .
iteachmac : Try tiffs in the project rather than jpg . May help if possible .
iteachmac : I think the issue is in the DVD encode rather than your export as a whole .
iteachmac : As your YouTube exports seem well .
iteachmac : If you go to the roxio website , there may be a trial you can test of toast to see if your project will burn better using , it should as you can up the bit rates in the encoder for toast before burning .
iteachmac : As you increase the bit rate the final DVD video encode will be better . You can set to a max of 9000kbps etc .
iteachmac :

DVD studio pro has encoding options just like toast , even more so ,

iteachmac :

More info on producing the best DVD video using DVD studio pro , and compressor . Compressor is a part of final cut studio . with integration similar to ilife apps . You can export with quality and best results using the better software .

Customer :

I could not find a trail of toast. Are there businesses that do this? - affordably priced. I then send a master to discmasters to make and package the dvd's.

iteachmac :

Heres a cheaper option to get decent MP2 encoding : http://www.mpeg2works.com/

iteachmac :

Hi yes , CDBABY may be able to help you . But your master must be good finished ect .

iteachmac :

Basically your best best is Burn with Toast 10 or get DVD studio pro .

iteachmac :

Toast really is the best Mac app you can get for burning just about anything , no Mac user should be without it .

iteachmac :

DVD studio pro will give you far more options in your video books than idvd ,and also give better quality video and burns all in one etc .

iteachmac :

DVD studio pro is made by apple and is the BIG version of iDVD . it has some nice options over the free idvd .

iteachmac :

What Mac do you have , what model?

iteachmac :

And what CPU >

iteachmac :

?

iteachmac :

Use about this mac from the Apple menu for the details .

iteachmac :

-

iteachmac :

I can see your having problems with the chat system here . Please use Firefox on this website , it works better at this time .

iteachmac :

If you want to give this method a go:- It may also help with the encode of video .

iteachmac :

see below .

iteachmac :

you will need MPEG stream clip software .

iteachmac :

Please choose a suitable resolution to convert to :

iteachmac :

• At 25 frame/s, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 50 Hz image scanning frequency): PAL

704 × 576 pixels

• At 29.97, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency): NTSC

704 × 480 pixels

iteachmac :

Choose At 29.97, interlaced (commonly used in regions with 60 Hz image scanning frequency): NTSC , for USA .

iteachmac :

Basically .

iteachmac :

You have a good video YES!

iteachmac :

Ok we need to convert it to a DVD resolution , so to aid the DVD encode , we are doing its job for it well at least to resize the video .

iteachmac :

As below .

iteachmac :

Export your movie to good settings in imovie etc .

iteachmac :

Then convert the video to a DVD resolution and frame rate . as above . stated for USA .

iteachmac :

Use MPEG stream clip to convert the size to the 29.97, frame rate, interlaced at 704 × 480 pixels for USA DVD use .

iteachmac :

Once the video has been converted to the 704 x 480 pixels in MPEG stream clip , you will have a new video file .

iteachmac :

Use this converted video file in IDVD , to make your DVD .

iteachmac :

The reason the Quality may improve , is that we converted the size to the correct size we need for DVD video before hand and are happy with the results ... we make our idvd project with the new clips and i.e iDVD will not / should not have to do as much conversion on your video files , none in size or resolution etc , only to encode MP2 , the result maybe better . But Toast or DVD studio pro can do this MP2 encoding in one hit and more options. .

iteachmac :

I hope this helps .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

Customer :

Thank you very much for your help. You have helped me with information.

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Thanks ,

Glad its worked out :)

All the best .