Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How do you attach a document to an email

How do you attach a document to an email?  I go into the process of attaching a document, but do not get a paperclip or any indication or link to start the attaching process.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

That is simple, just drag and drop the document to Mail window and it'll add as Attachment or In Mail, click on the File menu and select "Add Attachment" or In Mail, press Shift + Command + A

Let me know if that didn't worked...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the documents on my desktop. They are pictures of grandbabies I want to attach to a new email. How can i get to the desktop to drag and drop the photos when I am in a new email?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Select them, click and without releasing the mouse button, drag it to the new mail window or click on the File menu and select "Add Attachment". Then select the pictures and add it. Let me know if that didn't worked..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My computer "file" menu doesn't have an attachment option. It does have a "send link" option. Also, I don't have the option of toggling backand forth - email to desktop where I have the photos in a folder.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Are you using the Apple Mail (the postage stamp app) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I am using the Yahoo. com mail. I operate from an Apple computer with the software of MAC OS X. but as far as I can understand, my email is yahoo. As you can probably perceive, I am no expert in any of this; however, I did have experience working in a law firm for a number of years, but worked with the Microsoft Windows computer which has the paper clip for attachments.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..There is an Attach button on Yahoo page. Click on it to add attachments. See the picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't work that way. When I start a new email, I go and click on the "attachment" command and a dropdown window appears, I click on the attachments individually and the only option I have is "open, cancel" and I forget what the other one is because I don't have it up on my screen as I am typing this to you. There is no choice or command that says "attach". This is where the problem rests. It is not like Microsoft where you use the paperclip. If I go into the original email that had the photos sent to me and try to forward that with the attachments, the word "remove" appears nex to the original attachments and the email gets forwarded, but the attachments don't. While this is a good system you have, it would be far more helpful if I could actually talk with someone while going through the operation.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Click Attach and from the resulting box, click open and select the File you want to attach and click Open or OK. That should attach the file. If you still have trouble, then download and install another browser like Mozilla Firefox from here : http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Then open Yahoo in Firefox and see if you are able to attach in it. Let me know if that didn't worked..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, that doesn't work. Let me give you the steps I go trough when I want to do a new email: 1. I have to go through Firefox in order to get into yahoo. So I open Firefox and click on yahoo. 2. In Yahoo, I click on "new mail" and do the opening steps to start a new email, then I click on "attachment". A drop down window appears and asks from what part or section of the screen I want to find my attachments. 3. I click on 'desktop" because that is where the photos are stored and at that point another drop down window storing the choosen attachments. I click on the photos I want to attach. BUT after that there is no further option for attaching the photos. I can either choose cancel, open or close (I believe that is the third option). That is the end of the road. I hope I have made this clear
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
What happens when you click Open after selecting the attachment ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
O.K., I think I may have solved the problem. I sent a test email to my daughter and did just what you asked. I clicked on "open" and it attached it to the email. However, there is a "remove" after the attachment, so I will wait to see if this worked when she answers my email. If it does, that my be the answer. I will let you know. You have been very helpful. I will let you know if this worked or not.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Why Wait ? Just send one to yourself and see if you get it or not. Also why don't you try the Apple Mail application ? I hope that application will be a lot easier for you...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It worked. I feel rather foolish putting you through all of this when the answer was right in front of me; however, I was misled by the lack of the option "attach" or a paperclip, etc.

One more question, how do I get into Apple Mail application?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Open Mail application from Applications folder and follow the onscreen instructions to setup your Mail. You can also read the instructions in here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1508

Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc