iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

I have an old bubble iMac Do you think it would have an

Customer Question

I have an old bubble iMac Do you think it would have an WPA personal network connection
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

Do you mean a Wifi card to join a network ?

iteachmac :

Wifi on the mac is called Airport .

iteachmac :

You can see if the Mac has an airport card by , Going in to Apple menu , About this Mac . Moire info . see the list of hardware on the Mac , and look for Airport in the hardware list .

iteachmac :

All Macs have Ethernet , A wired connection BTW.

iteachmac :

Does this help?

iteachmac :

Thanks.

Customer :

From the get info:

Customer :

Airport Wireless card has the following info:

Customer :

Locale: USA

Customer :

Firmware Version: 9.52

Customer :

Is that enough info for you to say Yes or No that this machine could be able to access our WBA personal or is it WPA personal? We have 3 machines attached at this point and working well.

iteachmac :

ok ok , lets try .

iteachmac :

Here's a guide to setup wireless connections on the Mac once the Airport router ot other router is setup.

Please can you go in to the Apple menu , system preferences , Network control panel , and press - on all the connections in the list one by one to remove them.

Then press + for each device one by one .

-

please try to follow these steps for setting up wireless connection .

1 Go to the Apple menu , System preference .

2 Open the network control panel pane .

3 Choose edit locations from the drop down menu in , network pane .

4 Click the + button to add a new location .

5 Name the location "new"

6 Select the NEW location from the drop down menu , in the network pane .

7 Click on airport for the new location , from side list .

8 Turn airport on if it is off .

9 In the network name , choose your Wireless SSID , if you do not see it , use the join other network and select your routers SSID. , type in the name and , select the type of security used , in most cases it will be either WPA2 personal , or WEP , enter your network password XXXXX

10 Tick the show airport in display bar option .

11 Click advanced button .

12 Go to the airport tab , add the SSID if its not shown it the list .

13 Go to the TCP/IP tab in advanced , select use DHCP

14 At the top of the screen use the new airport menu to join the network.

15 In the TCP/IP settings tab , you should now see your have a connection to the router .
and your IP address , subnet mask etc is now automatically filled in .

16 You should now be online , and connected to your LAN network . "local area"

iteachmac :

The older imacs wifi maybe a slower standard than the other Macs Pcs , etc , so even if you get the built in airport working , you may want to upgrade to wireless N using a USB wireless N adapter for instance . If you have good signal and a dual band router such as the new Air port extreme that does both A , B , G & N at the same time etc , and at the same time so other computers are still running at N speeds , you wont have any problems .

iteachmac :

Thanks.