iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

The sound on my Powerbook G4 has just gone dead...what can

Customer Question

The sound on my Powerbook G4 has just gone dead...what can I do? The "volume slider" under the speaker icon on the desktop upper menu is uncolored (ie., not blue) and will not slide.

It went dead once before, but after I downloaded and installed a software update, the sound worked.

Now it's suddenly off again and rebooting doesn't help. I need a permanent FIX please!!

Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi sounds like digital out is selected .

iteachmac :

Go Apple menu ,

iteachmac :

System preferences

iteachmac :

Sound control panel

iteachmac :

Output tab

iteachmac :

Choose built in audio or speaker etc , not digital out ..

iteachmac :

Does this help.

Customer :

No...did what you said. There is no digital output to select and the internal speakers could not/would not be selected. Still no sound.

Customer :

Customer :

1:29 PM

iteachmac : Could not be selected? Please explain.
iteachmac : Also please open , mac hd applications utilities folder
iteachmac : Launch the audio midi setup app .
iteachmac : Make sure settings for outputs are not set to use encoded digital or digital . Select 16bit 44.1khz .
iteachmac : If there's still no fix , or other issue such as the audio hardwired options Breyer out , or not there , please state.
iteachmac : Thanks.
Customer :

I could see the words...

Customer :

internal speakers built-in audio

Customer :

but I could not click on them...they would not be selected.

Customer :

I could not find mac hd applications utility folder to open.

Customer :

still no fix.

Customer :

still no sound

iteachmac :

The Mac HD is your HDD , the boot drive , Applications folder can be seen in any finder window . Utilities folder can be found inside that . .

iteachmac :

Uhmm please check same as outlined in audio midi setup , ESP encoded digital out not to be set . .

iteachmac :

If there is still a problem after checking that setting is not made , there may be a hardware problem .

iteachmac :

Please ,let me know.

Customer :

Found the files, set 44.1Khz, 16-bit was already set. Still no sound.

iteachmac :

ok can you try testing the Mac in a new user account .

iteachmac :

Testing for issues.

We can create new accounts in OSX using the Apple menu , System preferences , Accounts control panel to test if problems are resolved .

In the Accounts control panel , Unlock the pad lock , use the + button to add an account .

Disable the automatic logon function , restart and logon to your new account .

From this account you can setup your software etc for your own use with this account.

Applications are shared across the Users on the Mac , application preferences are separate for each account .
Each individual user has its own User folder with Music , pictures , documents , movies etc ,
If the Problem is local to your old user account and not system wide , this should show up if this is the case.

Does this help the issue at all??

iteachmac :

if not we can try some resets ,

iteachmac :

Please also check the sound is not muted or turned down on the Sound control panel out tab .

iteachmac :

try selecting each output available in the sound control panel in turn , and toggle them each way a few times , this can write a new plist in the back ground , possibly correcting the issue . Try switching outputs and then closing the panel also each way ..

iteachmac :

Use itunes to play sound , check itunes volume is up also . Also try playing a video on youtube to produce sound etc .

iteachmac :

Resets as follows if needed . After the resets you may have to do the above once more .

iteachmac :

Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431

Please see the document provided via the link to carry out the reset , as there are many models and differing ways to reset PMU.

PowerBook G4 Computers: How to Identify Different Models , you will need to find out what Mac Power book you have ..
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3065

After the reset, on some iBooks and PowerBooks, the system clock is set to 00:00 etc.

This article refers to Apple products manufactured November 1997 or later. For products manufactured before that date, see "PowerBook: Resetting Power Management Unit (PMU)".

About the Power Manager

The Power Manager is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of the PowerBook and iBook. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

Over time, the settings in the Power Manager may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer. Examples include not turning on, not waking from sleep, not charging the battery, or not seeing the AC Adapter, among others.

Resetting the PMU is not intended for resolution of a stall or situation in which the computer is unresponsive. A PMU reset should not be necessary except as a last resort in cases where a hardware failure of the power management system is suspected. Performing a PMU reset returns the iBook and PowerBook hardware, including NVRAM, to default settings and forces the computer to shut down.

See below for instructions on locating the reset button or key combination for your model of iBook or PowerBook.
If your computer is earlier than the models listed here, see "PowerBook: Resetting Power Management Unit (PMU)".

Warning: Resetting the Power Manager on any PowerBook or iBook will permanently remove a RAM disk, if present, and all of its contents.

PowerBook and iBook models covered by the reset .
PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), and PowerBook G4 (17-inch Double-Layer SD)
PowerBook G4 (12-inch), PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI), PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz)
PowerBook G4 (DVI) and PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz)
PowerBook G4 and PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
PowerBook (FireWire)
iBook (16 VRAM), iBook (14.1 LCD 16 VRAM), iBook (14.1 LCD 32 VRAM), iBook (32 VRAM), and iBook (Opaque 16 VRAM), iBook (Early 2003), iBook (800 MHz 32 VRAM), iBook (900 MHz 32 VRAM), iBook (14.1 LCD 900 MHz 32 VRAM), iBook G4, iBook G4 (Early 2004), iBook G4 (Late 2004), iBook G4 (Mid 2005)
iBook (Dual USB), iBook (Late 2001), and iBook (14.1 LCD)
iBook and iBook (FireWire) computers
PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze Keyboard) (M5343)
PowerBook G3 Series (M4753)
PowerBook G3 (M3553)

Please see the document provided via the link to carry out the reset if your mac is not listed above , as there are many models and differing ways to reset PMU.

-

If there is still no change in the issue after testing , please try reseting the Pram:-

Resetting the Power Manager and PRAM

Resetting the parameter RAM (PRAM) when the computer is shut down also resets the Power Manager.
The following process resets both the Power Manager and the parameter RAM.

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Make sure the Caps Lock key is not down.

Restart the computer. Immediately after hearing the startup sound,

simultaneously press and hold Command-Option-P-R.
(If you do not hold down the key combination within 5 to 10 seconds after the computer restarts, you must repeat steps 1-3.)

Hold down the keys until you hear the startup sound again. Then release the keys.

If the computer shuts itself off, press the reset button on the back of the computer to turn it back on.

When the computer has finished starting up, restore any custom settings for the desktop pattern, memory, network, AppleTalk, trackpad, power conservation, and so forth.

Does this help?

Thanks.

iteachmac :

It has been know for the earphone jack to cause problems , with itunes playing a song etc please insert a head phone jack to hear sound , insert the jack in and out with some cleaning action , rotate the jack as you pull push carefully not too hard but firmly , if there is sound popping etc , there maybe a problem with the input socket , keep trying to get the socket to click in or out as it should if it feels stiff ?. you can use a small amount of LCD or keyboard cleaner on the end of the jack to insert if needed . Do not spray anything in to the Mac from a can etc this is a bad idea .. Canned air & fluids etc can damage a computers logic board in seconds.

iteachmac :

Please let me know if this helps .

Customer :

Thanks for the new suggestion. Tried it but got no popping or sounds of any kind. Went to System Preferences-->Sound-->Output, clicked on "Internal Speakers - Built In Audio", and got this message: "The selected device has no output controls." Does that help to target the problem? Ron

iteachmac :

hi do you hear chime on power on of the mac?

iteachmac :

also is there a red light coming from the audio jack , turning the lights of so its dark in the room should help to see this.

iteachmac :

If you make sure audio is set to builtin , and 16bit , not encoded digital . in the audio midi setup application control panel. take a tooth pick and insert in to the audio jack , to see if you can gently free the contacts , if the red light goes out then the audio may be switched back to analog or built in etc . it is hard to say , this issue has been on many macs with this type audio port .

Customer :

There is no "opening chime" when the power is turned on. I see no red light inside the audio jack. Do I still try the toothpick?

iteachmac :

the ports maybe dual digital and analog / headphone , the switch is made in the control panel , but over riddern by inserting headphones , so switching settings and picking the audio port will a jack or tooth pick can correct the stuck pins etc inside the port sometimes . no heavy hands please while trying this . try to feel if theres an problem .

iteachmac :

you can try ,

iteachmac :

Is there a red light if you switch to digital out in the sound control panel ?

iteachmac :

did you do pram reset?

iteachmac :

heres a link to same or similar issues on apple support .

iteachmac :

this is a tricky problem , it may be the hardware in some cases also . rather than a stuck plug socket or incorrectly set audio outs etc .

iteachmac :

Please try this guide to reset pram , it will be harder to do if you cant hear the chimes .

iteachmac :

You can also reset this nvram in open firmware

iteachmac :

1. Instead of typing "mac-boot" at the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram

2. Press Return.

3. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all

4. Press Return.

Example:

0 > reset-nvram
Press Return
0 > reset-all
Press Return

iteachmac :

to get in to open firmware to perform the above :-

iteachmac :

Boot into open Firmware ............................... CMD-OPT-O-F

iteachmac :

On powering on the mac hold CMD-OPT-O-F till you see the prompt, then enter reset-nvram .

iteachmac :

1. Press Return.

2. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all

3. Press Return.

iteachmac :

does this help.

iteachmac :

Thanks.