Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

my computer has froze, all i get is the apple symbol and the

my computer has froze, all i get is the apple symbol and the spinning hash marks, not the color wheel? any suggestions
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Follow the steps below and see if it works or not...

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know how it goes....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried solutions 1 and 2 and no response, did solution 3 and got this message "volume check failed"
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i want to say tiger, the computer is over 3 years old, believe it or not just came off of apple care in june. it also said above the failed message, "invalid node structure"
Okay..that "invalid node structure" message indicates that there is a problem with the hard disk or system file. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one. Archive and Install will work unless your hard disk is failing.

Archive and Install : Read Instructions

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm in the middle of the install process now, it seems to be going fine. Should i just check with you later?
Yes..let me know when it finished.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i got a messsage that there was an error installing. restarting now to see if it boots up. if this doesn't work, i guess i have to take it to the apple store and get a new harddrive? what about all the personal stuff on the drive, pics and documents? will they be able to recover them?
Do you have another Mac and Firewire cable. If so, then you can recover the files using Target Disk Mode :

Since the installation failed, you can do Erase and Install. Erase and Install completely erase the hard disk and all the files inside it. So backup your files first using Target Disk Mode and do Erase and Install. Or take your Mac to the Apple Store and they'll recover your files.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can i target to an external hard drive and not another mac?
No...Target Disk Mode only works with two Macs. You can also try the Disk Warrior, Disk Warrior can fix 90% hard disk issue (software) and can recover the files and let you to transfer the files to external hard disk. But i can't guarantee it'll work because if the problem is with hard disk (not with system files) you'll not be able to recover the files.

Disk Warrior ($99.95) :

I've tried Disk Warrior when my hard disk failed and i recovered 70% of my files using it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if its a problem with the disk itself, i won't be able to recover the files anyways correct? or will the target method work? Sorry i am very concerned because of the number of photos and files that i want to preserve. I'm sure you understand, kids pics and stuff. I am probably going to take it to the apple store, your opinion, is it worth fixing? i'm sure its cheaper than buying a new Mac.
Sorry for the delay..As long as your Mac recognize the hard disk, you still have chance to recover the files.I'd recommend to recover them ASAP before it completely dies. Target Disk Mode is the best method to recover the files.. If it is just the hard disk, then its worth fixing. New hard disks are cheaper, than buying a new Mac.

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 1/1/2011 at 4:43 PM EST